SASS Wire Forum

If you find it difficult to load your Lightning, it may have a magazine plug in it

In another thread, I can't remember which one, someone commented, I can't remember who, that they were finding it difficult to load ten rounds into the magazine of their Lightning rifle.

Since I can't remember where/by whom the problem was stated, I'm just gonna start a new thread to give the answer here.

I had a similar problem with my second Lightning, an AWA in .44-40.  Getting the ninth, and especially the tenth round into the chamber was difficult.  To make a long story short, I eventually discovered that there was a plug in the magazine that limited it to ten rounds.  I took that out, and now it is much easier to load the normal ten rounds.  In fact, it'll load thirteen now with no problems.   Perhaps if you are having trouble loading up a Lightning, this is the cause of your trouble.   Which is a good thing, cuz it's an easy fix.

The manufacturer probably does this because a bunch of states in the US will only allow 10 rounds in a magazine.  NY is one of them.

Bought an old Marlin pump shotgun years ago and naturally after checking the bbl took it out back to fire it. It would only hold three rds in the mag. When I tore the entire gun down I found an actual stick, not a dowel in the mag tube. Guess it was used as a duck or goose gun in it’s past and the hunter got creative to make it legal.

Yes, manufacturers install followers with limiters to conform to state magazine capacity laws. However, since these rifles are shipped to distributors, and then to dealers, rifles with limiters often end up in states where there are no magazine-limit laws. Here's a photo of a Pedersoli Lightning limiter for a 26" barrel rifle (there is also a shorter limiter for the carbine barrel rifles). Removing the limiter also allows you to remove about 3" of magazine spring (the extra spring is needed to help move the lifter as well as the bullets as they slide down the magazine toward the receiver). Removing the limiter and spring enables better feeding as well as smoother cycling of the rifle (because you don't feel the impact of the heavier limiter as it jerks down the tube on each cycle). Above and to the left is a limiter available from Armorer's Edge (wwwarmorersedge.com) that replaces the original follower, and is made from a special high-density indestructible plastic. The followers they make now are black.

RR

Pedersoli limiter.jpg

Archived