SASS Wire Forum

Over lubed bullets? Using lee alox.

jasper stone

I usually thin the lube with mineral spirits by about 25%. Tumble them in a large plastic bag, let them set over night on wax paper which is re-usable.

Size them and then sprinkle some Motor Mica (A dry shot gun wad lube) lightly on the bullets, and tumble them in a different plastic bag, which I use to hold the bullets in while I load them. The Motor Mica takes the "Sticky" out of them. A little of each goes along way. The Alox, one can always add more, as with the Mica.

It will collect on your loading dies, just keep an eye on it. A Q-tip and Mineral spirits will clean the die right up.

KB

Applying too much Alox is easy to do so it’s a common problem.  If it’s building up in your dies there’s too much on the bullet.  I aim for just a slight color change on the bullet’s surface.  I dilute the stock Alox about 1 to 20 with mineral spirits, then squirt about 1 teaspoon of the diluted solution on about 100 bullets.  The light coating dries quickly, blowing them with a hair dryer while shaking them around in a plastic bowl.  Then sprinkle a dab of cornstarch on the freshly lubed bullets to eliminate the stickiness and you can start loading immediately.  It takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish to lube a couple of hundred bullets and start making cartridges this way.

The diluted Alox solution settles over time.  Shake it up periodically.

You can soak the overdressed bullets in a tub of mineral spirits to clean them up, and start over. 

Archived