SASS Wire Forum

Foods You Dislike

Subdeacon Joe

When my family lived in Nebraska back in the 60’s there were a number of hog farms around and my step dad and a couple of friends of his would cut (castrate) pigs on the weekend. Well they’d bring me along and I’d be the catcher and they would be the cutters. We’d end up with a couple of five gallon buckets of oysters at the end of the day. Dad and his buddies would skin them and then freeze them and about four times a year the oysters would get thawed out, sliced up, breaded and deep fried and a whole bunch  of work mates and acquaintances would show up at our place for a testicle spectacle. I thought mountain oysters were the absolute best thing ever. I’d make sandwiches out of the leftovers and take them to school and trade kids my sandwiches for their brownies or cookies or whatever. I wouldn’t tell them what they really were until after they were consumed. I still order mountain oysters every chance I get.

I though it was only calf nuts, not pigs. Ya learn something new every day.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I though it was only calf nuts, not pigs. Ya learn something new every day.

Turkey and lamb too. North of Phoenix there was a place in New River or Black Canyon City that had a mountain oyster fry weekend once a year. They had turkey, lamb, pig and calf fries all you could eat with a lot of side dishes to go along. It drew quite a crowd.

Archived