SASS Wire Forum

Leather butt wrap question

El Hombre Sin Nombre

Howdy all,

can a leather butt wrap on a rifle have bullet loops if there are no bullets in it? And if so, can it have bullets in it if they aren’t being used? I’m doing Tom Horn single shot category at an annual match and my trap door has a nice wrap on it with loops. I planned on using it at a non sass match that allows bullets taken from it and I don’t really want to take it off if I don’t have to. Plus it looks much cooler with bullets in the loops than without. Thanks all. 

As far as I know .... "Tom Horn" is NOT a recognized SASS category.  Therefore you should be able to anything you like.  In my neck of the woods, we shoot modified Planesman where your ammunition can come from where ever you can grab it.  Even stages onna prop.  YMMV

I personally prefer a fabric (smooth) Butt Wrap.  I get mine from Duluth Trading :D 

Ammunition can carried in ANY manner as long as it is not used for STAGE RELOADS.

- Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person, in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, pocket, or be safely staged as required by stage instructions.

- Use of ammo from cartridge loops mounted on a firearm’s stock or forearm is not allowed. 

SHB p.3

Note: Any ammo carried to the firing line in an illegal/unapproved manner that is actually used for stage reloads falls under the “Use of illegally acquired ammunition” penalties. 

SHB p.4

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Ammunition can carried in ANY manner as long as it is not used for STAGE RELOADS.

SHB p.3

SHB p.4

Thanks so much PW. That’s exactly what I was looking for!

thats an interesting point - ive wondered on the rounds in loops on the holsters as well , theis almost seems like something that moghthave been done back in the day by an ingenious or creative person to me , 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

thats an interesting point - ive wondered on the rounds in loops on the holsters as well , theis almost seems like something that moghthave been done back in the day by an ingenious or creative person to me , 

Ammo loops on holsters (for R/P ammunition) are specifically allowed.
REF: previous post from SHB p.3

elpasosaddlery_WesHardin.jpg

Wes Hardin holster

Archived