SASS Wire Forum

I've heard of time-delay fuses before, but...

Sixgun Sheridan

Back around 2004 after a brush fire we found a live bomb out in the prairie near lake Okeechobee in Florida. The area used to be a B17 bomb range during the war. It was live. USAF EOD came and took care of it.

BombCrater.JPG

Looks like the center of that explosion is right where the wheel tracks were for that little roadway path through the field. I'll bet the farmer that owns that land is thinking "How many times have I driven across that thing?" :blink:

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like the center of that explosion is right where the wheel tracks were for that little roadway path through the field. I'll bet the farmer that owns that land is thinking "How many times have I driven across that thing?" :blink:

It seems to a farmers attitude would be something like “ Well, guess my time just wasn’t up yet.”

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It seems to a farmers attitude would be something like “ Well, guess my time just wasn’t up yet.”

Yep, you’re probably right.

From what the old timers told me after the war the bombing range reverted back to the owners and the Air Force "cleaned it up". But every now and then late at night, they'd hear a boom off in the distance and find several steers turned to hamburger. They'd send the Air Force the bill. The Air Force would pay it and sweep the prairie ....again.

Apparently it was a fairly common occurrence in the 50s.

Archived