SASS Wire Forum

Books

Subdeacon Joe

I’m thinking OSHA wasn’t around when that was made. What a processs!!

In the 50s and 60s, the printers unions negotiated lifetime contracts. Sometime after my hot metal work, I was employed in computer typesetting, with which the employers were able to buy out the printers’ contracts and reduce costs.

about OSHA, yeah, 620 degree lead does burn a bit.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In the 50s and 60s, the printers unions negotiated lifetime contracts. Sometime after my hot metal work, I was employed in computer typesetting, with which the employers were able to buy out the printers’ contracts and reduce costs.

about OSHA, yeah, 620 degree lead does burn a bit.

Not only the hot lead but all of those exposed moving parts and cutters had to have accounted for many mangled or lost limbs or digits and I didn’t see any safety glasses or hearing protection in use either. You book makers were a tough bunch back then.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

In junior high we were required to take printing, electrical, metal, etc. Our process wasn't so automated.

Of course, if you start them off with automated processes, they take everything for granted.  I even set things like wedding invitations from the wooden trays, upper and lower case, learned which bins were for what letters, being extra mindful of my p’s and q’ and b’s and d’s. It was where I learned to read upside down and backwards. You have a pair of trays for every point size and font variation, bold, italic, extended, condensed, extra bold, etc., etc. and any of them could have been put back in the wrong tray by a hurried typesetter.  No drag and pull, click, click with a mouse.

Archived