SASS Wire Forum

Shipping antique guns via usps

Doc Coles SASS 1188

What about an 1865 reproduction Spencer in 56-50.  Can't go into my local gun store and buy ammo for it.

I would never pay $60 for 20 rounds of any ammo.  I would rather set up my press and make it.

7 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Doc,

Even though you both are non-licensee's if the sender gets the right USPS counter person that Antique gun can be sent directly to you, no FFL required.

Some  folks here are reading the USPS Pub 52 rules wrong. If a gun was made on or before 1898 it is considered to be an antique and can be mailed to an out of state non-licensee.  (See the text above in RED)

The part about the ammunition pertains to modern made replicas of an old gun. In this case that would be something like a Uberti made 73 rifle in 357 mag. It's an antique design but modern made in a common caliber. So it is not considered to be an antique. and would have to be shipped to an FFL if going out of state.

As in part "A."

However, if that uberti was a replica of an 1860 henry rifle and was chambered for 44 Henry rimfire ammo (which Uberti would never make) then even though that gun is modern made it would still be considered an antique because the ammo is not readily available.

As in part "B."

As McCandless points out, it can be confusing.

Unfortunately most USPS counter folks don't know the rules either.  Over the past 30 years I've dealt with the post office and ATF about the mailability of firearms and definition of an antique. One of the postmaster even told me that any gun had to have the firing pin remove. Luckily, I had a copy of the USPS Pub 52 with me at the time. I ask her to show me that reg. She said she would have to get back to me.  Later she called and said I was correct and could I tell her where to get that Pub 52. They didn't even have one to refer to. She and I became friends and anytime she had a gun question she would call me to look it up for her.

Dealing with the ATF about antiques. After an ATF audit i was told I had a modern gun listed as an antique. This was a win 92 made in 1894. but, it had been re-barreled to 357mag.  I ask for a Tec branch ruling and they ruled it was still an antique. My inspector was OK with that.

Exactly.  The problem is that the guy sending the gun got scared off by the USPS folks who do not know the law. He is in California and very concerned about running foul of the law (which is reasonable).  His plan is to send it ups, which is fine but much more expensive to Alaska.  

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why are you looking at US Postal Service regs?

All transfers of ownership must go through an FFL unless it's FTF and allowed in the State that the parties reside.

Phantom

Phantom, check your regulations.  An antique firearm as defined by the ATF does not require transfer through an FFL unless required by state law.  Under federal law they are essentially not firearms and can be sold through common carriers to persons in other states (again as long as it is not prohibited by state law).  

1 hour ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Phantom, check your regulations.  An antique firearm as defined by the ATF does not require transfer through an FFL unless required by state law.  Under federal law they are essentially not firearms and can be sold through common carriers to persons in other states (again as long as it is not prohibited by state law).  

I'm fully aware of the laws. Please go back to my post and you'll see that i was responding to specific question unrelated to your original post.

My company has no problems understanding the rules regarding firearm shipments as we do it everyday.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm fully aware of the laws. Please go back to my post and you'll see that i was responding to specific question unrelated to your original post.

My company has no problems understanding the rules regarding firearm shipments as we do it everyday.

Phantom

Glad to hear that your company is on top of firearms law.  That’s a great thing for an FFL.  

My apologies if I misunderstood your post.  I reread the string and since you did not quote an earlier post, it is unclear exactly which point you were responding to.  I just assumed in the lack of additional information that you were responding to the original topic of the post.  But, I know posts can take on a life of their own and drift pretty far of the topic (take this little aside for example).  

In any case, I think my original question has been adequately addressed.  The crowd source consensus is that USPS regs state that you can send antique guns via Federal mail but you should be prepared to show the clerk the regulations to get it to happen.  

The antique gun in question is now in transit so it’s a moot point.

Archived