SASS Wire Forum

OT: Wolffe Reduced Power Mainspring for S&W 629

John Henry Quick

Do any of you have experience with Wolffe's reduced  power mainspring for the S&W 629?  I do NOT want to be dependent on using the "right" primer, so will this spring work for all ammo?

If you tighten the screw down all the way it will bust any primer ... (and will be a lot like the ribbed mainspring that came in the gun). I have one in a model 10 and in a 627 ... BUT ... if you put a set screw in ... and put some locktite on it ... you can tighten down to what you need and add a little ... (like in the photo below). Why beat yourself up??

You can also lighten the trigger pull additionally (significantly) by lightening the rebound spring (w/o impacting hammer velocity).

5aed09fb161cd_mainspringscrew.jpg.8104ea54121d67fc26ba697bb0b4e2b6.jpg

10 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

If you tighten the screw down all the way it will bust any primer ... (and will be a lot like the ribbed mainspring that came in the gun). I have one in a model 10 and in a 627 ... BUT ... if you put a set screw in ... and put some locktite on it ... you can tighten down to what you need and add a little ... (like in the photo below). Why beat yourself up??

You can also lighten the trigger pull additionally (significantly) by lightening the rebound spring (w/o impacting hammer velocity).

5aed09fb161cd_mainspringscrew.jpg.8104ea54121d67fc26ba697bb0b4e2b6.jpg

I got a set of four different rebound springs so I'm already on top of that.  However, I had not thought about using a set screw - thanks!

Geez guys,

First. The strain screw IS NOT an adjustment. If you back it off too much, the mainspring lacks 'curve'. When the hammer comes back and the angle is not right (because someone backed off the strain screw too much) the mainspring WILL BREAK. Its not an adjustment.

Second. The mainspring (hammer) and the rebound spring (trigger) work together to ensure the two hammer blocks work to block the hammer. Yeah, this is a significant safety issue. If the rebound spring is lightened too far, the hammer now travels faster than the rebound spring can push the trigger forward and block the hammer. Hammer hits primer, gun go bang. You can have a too light mainspring and a heavy rebound spring and the safeties work. Not the other way around.

If you have thirty-something years of experience smithing like me,  you do in fact learn a few things and know cool stuff. If you're reasonably astute and can read a good how-to like the Kuhnhausen books have at it and try not to go in over your head. If you know stuff cuz that's what the gun shop commandos 'all know' please, pretty please, don't go spreadin' that. On the other hand, I make money when peole bust their guns and then gotta find a guy like me to put it right so have at it.:P

The wolff type 1 power rib spring is factory weight. The reduced type two is less and mostly works. Depending. You gots to try it in your gun. The shooter packs with the different weights of rebound springs are where people get into trouble cuz they put one in there that is too light. Pay attention and follow the instructions. Mostly works.

There's more than one way to skin a fish. :D

The strain screw can be turned a bit to lesson the spring tension, maybe 1/4 turn at most.

The rebound spring tension has to 'work' with the hammer tension, to prevent SLO trigger return.

YMMV,

OLG

I don't know why every thread seems to go like this sometimes ... There are always the experts and it is difficult to help sometimes. 

Come on out to some ICORE or USPSA matches Don and put your 30 years experience to work ... We would all like to see some more 8 shot revolvers show up and in ICORE you can shoot 6 shot in Classic with speed loaders or 6 shot in Limited 6 with moon clips. 8 shots work great for Speed Challenge or Thursday Night steel too ... don't have to chase brass!!  If you're gonna talk the talk ... come on out and shoot ... 

My 627 has over 10k rounds ... I'm waiting for it to break ... :rolleyes:

627scale2.thumb.jpg.eee6b1c1b8a4757e71a3442cb0627500.jpg cdclips.jpg.11b435749675c6ecae0f5f5758db3ccd.jpg

Archived