SASS Wire Forum

Free Spin Cylinder

Randingo

Any drawback or reason not to remove the plunger, spring and set screw on a RNV to achieve a free spinning cylinder?  Thanks!

During loading and unloading the cylinder spins freely in either direction.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The indexing is nice to have for unloading. ;)

OLG

It's my understanding that this was a problem on the OLD Model Vaquero. The NMV was designed to not have this problem. I have a NMV as my EDC, and have never had an issue with chambers not lining up.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It's my understanding that this was a problem on the OLD Model Vaquero. The NMV was designed to not have this problem. I have a NMV as my EDC, and have never had an issue with chambers not lining up.

That's because you still have the plunger and spring in place.

That was added to the NMV......

OLG

If I am not mistaken, the cylinder lock that come up from the frame below the cylinder is what locks it in place.  The paw indexes the cylinder.

Not exactly sure how the spring and plunger work, but when removed the cylinder will spin freely.

Been watching AGI(American Gunsmithing Ins) videos to try and learn/understand how to improve performance and accuracy of my Vaqueros.

Many advantages to a free spinning cylinder when trying to perform a mandatory one round reload. 

The cyl stop you speak of, only comes into play when the cyl is in firing position. It holds the cyl in place, when firing.

The spring and plunger that helps with the index for unloading works on the ratchets on the back of the cyl.

To remove that plunger- cock the UNLOADED gun and you'll see the allen head set screw below and to the left of the transfere bar.

OLG

Archived