SASS Wire Forum

Need input on air compressor

Three Foot Johnson

DeWalt D55140. I'm looking for a decent, small "low profile" compressor to put in a space with height of only about 9 1/4". The specs on this pump say it's 9" tall, BUT they put the hose coupler on top of the unit, which effectively defeats placing it in a 9 1/4" tall space. So my question is, is it possible to easily re-position the coupler to come out the side? I would expect it is, but who knows. Anybody have one of these? None of the local hardware stores have it in stock, but "We can order one for ya".

DeWaltCompressor.jpg

I'd say go to Harbor Freight (unless you're a pro using it hard everyday).  Get the 2 yr replacement plan and trade it in for a new one before the plan expires.  You'll only ever pay for one and their stuff is better quality than they usta be.

HOWEVER; I don't see one small enough for your space.  So um, never mind.

3/4 SCFM @ 90 lbs, draincock on the back lower side of the tank. It will be used as a small compressed air supply under a work bench in my loading room, mainly for blowing solvent and such out of actions and parts when disassembling & cleaning. Very light duty stuff.

It's quite sufficient for the purpose - I'm using a comparably rated Campbell Hausfeld there at the moment, but it's not short enough to fit under the bench, so it's in the way all the time. If I need more air, there are a couple of 2 cylinder yard locomotive air brake pumps out in the shop, and an older 2 stage Westinghouse "Y" series on a 200 gallon tank with a 10hp motor running at about 750 rpm putting out 35 CFM @ 175 psi.

You may be able to install an elbow right where it comes up off of the compressor.

Here's a review......

http://www.aircompressorbase.com/dewalt-d55140-review-is-this-portable-air-compressor-worth-the-investment/

Be sure to check the posted size, as it states 10 1/2 inches.

OLG

Archived