SASS Wire Forum

Differences between Pedersoli and Navy Arms Lightning Rifles?

Sgt. Saywut

What do the Navy Arms Lightnings have done to them that makes them cost almost half again as much as the Pedersoli Lightning?  If I understand correctly, the latter firm produces the rifles sold by Navy Arms, so what’s different?

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

That’s it?   No mechanical differences at all?

Larsen’s correct. The NA Lightning’s for the most part have checkered stocks and a case hardened receiver. The internals are all the same as Pedersolis. If you get one PM Roger Rapid and get his Pedersoli Lightning manual, you’ll be glad you did.

Thanks for the input, folks.  I plan to look for a 24” Pedersoli Lightning in 357 while we’re at the Wanenmacher show this Saturday, but I won’t hold my breath.   Seems they’re not easily found in that caliber. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Thanks for the input, folks.  I plan to look for a 24” Pedersoli Lightning in 357 while we’re at the Wanenmacher show this Saturday, but I won’t hold my breath.   Seems they’re not easily found in that caliber. 

I like them in 44-40 because, IMHO, they feed better and the chances of the cartridge jumping the cartridge stop lever and jamming up the action to where you have to take the magazine end off and dump the remaining rounds out are much lessened. Whichever way you go make sure you get Roger Rapids manual, it’ll tell you how to take care of that problem.

Yul, thanks for the advice.  I’m looking for 38/357 mainly because Ginny Hinny and I have pistols and a rifle in that caliber already, and I have a reloading setup for that as well.   Another caliber would complicate matters and thin out my wallet quite a bit more ;)   Your comments do echo those of others versed in the Lightning, so I’ll keep that in mind should I find a good deal on one in 44-40. 

I sent Roger Rapids a PM.   Appreciate it!

49 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Yul, thanks for the advice.  I’m looking for 38/357 mainly because Ginny Hinny and I have pistols and a rifle in that caliber already, and I have a reloading setup for that as well.   Another caliber would complicate matters and thin out my wallet quite a bit more ;)   Your comments do echo those of others versed in the Lightning, so I’ll keep that in mind should I find a good deal on one in 44-40. 

I sent Roger Rapids a PM.   Appreciate it!

Keep in mind these are .357s.  Standard dimension .38s won't work.  Miniumum OAL to get reliable functioning is 1.540".

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Keep in mind these are .357s.  Standard dimension .38s won't work.  Miniumum OAL to get reliable functioning is 1.540".

I do understand that - I meant to say we’re more or less standardized on the 38/357 platform when it comes to CAS firearms in general.  Thanks for pointing out that particular bit, though. 

17 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

What do the Navy Arms Lightnings have done to them that makes them cost almost half again as much as the Pedersoli Lightning?  If I understand correctly, the latter firm produces the rifles sold by Navy Arms, so what’s different?

Navy Arms didn't manufacture anything - they were an importer much like Taylor's and if you dig deeper, you might even find that Pedersoli made them.  Or maybe not, but it would be interesting to know who did.

2 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Navy Arms didn't manufacture anything - they were an importer much like Taylor's and if you dig deeper, you might even find that Pedersoli made them.  Or maybe not, but it would be interesting to know who did.

They are made by Pedersoli. Says so right on the rifle.

6 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

They are made by Pedersoli. Says so right on the rifle.

That's what I figured since the Brown Bess they used to market was a Pedersoli.  Kinda makes the OP's original question a moot point, eh?  ;)

11 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

That's what I figured since the Brown Bess they used to market was a Pedersoli.  Kinda makes the OP's original question a moot point, eh?  ;)

Actually, I did mention how Pedersoli makes the Lightning for Navy Arms.  “If I understand correctly...”   I was asking what made the Navy Arms rifles, made by Pedersoli, different that they would cost more than a “regular” Pedersoli.  Apparently nothing other than a fancier finish. 

I need to be more explicit on this forum, so it would seem :D

just a quick observation:  I try to keep my firearms in good condition but 2-3 matches a month take their toll on the barrels and stocks.

Like Bart Skelton said, "All mine are working guns, not rich enough to have a non-firing collection."

Archived