SASS Wire Forum

Correcting SKB forearm looseness

Howdy Pards. Just a quick question about my SKB 200. I want to reduce the looseness in the forearm. It shakes side to side and front to back if that makes sense. The side to side play I reduced greatly by applying little strips of foam tape on the inside of the forearm. That worked great. Now for the front to back play, there is a small block with a screw in it at the end of that release push rod. Is this adjustable to reduce some looseness? I wanted to ask before I messed with anything. Thanks in advance. 

First thing to check is to see the anchor block on the barrel is loose.  They are soldered on and sometimes will break.  They will still be sitting in the barrel but are loose.  Simply remove the forearm and wiggle it.  If it moves you have a problem.  If that is OK you go from there.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

First thing to check is to see the anchor block on the barrel is loose.  They are soldered on and sometimes will break.  They will still be sitting in the barrel but are loose.  Simply remove the forearm and wiggle it.  If it moves you have a problem.  If that is OK you go from there.

Thanks Larsen. Just checked and it seems to be solid. No movement noticed.

Here is a short video from Larry Potterfield of Midway USA on how to tighten a loose forearm on a SXS double.

TB

You need to provide more information.  Is this gun new to you?  Did this start suddenly of did it take a few years?  Is this an SKB200 or a 200E?  The easiest thing to do as a starting point is to remove the wood and then snap the metal in place.  With the wood off you should be able to see where the clearances are, whether the metal is bent, etc.  Putting foam tape is a bandaid.  It is not a fix.  If the wood is that loose it stands a good chance of splitting unless the problem(s) are addressed.

On 11/5/2017 at 12:40 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You need to provide more information.  Is this gun new to you?  Did this start suddenly of did it take a few years?  Is this an SKB200 or a 200E?  The easiest thing to do as a starting point is to remove the wood and then snap the metal in place.  With the wood off you should be able to see where the clearances are, whether the metal is bent, etc.  Putting foam tape is a bandaid.  It is not a fix.  If the wood is that loose it stands a good chance of splitting unless the problem(s) are addressed.

The shotgun is a 200E and yes its fairly new to me and it came to me in this condition. The screws are tight and the forearm has no cracks. I will remove the wood from the metal assembly and see what it looks like. That video that TB posted even thought its a different shotgun, It does have some good tips on were to check. Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

The shotgun is a 200E and yes its fairly new to me and it came to me in this condition. The screws are tight and the forearm has no cracks. I will remove the wood from the metal assembly and see what it looks like. That video that TB posted even thought its a different shotgun, It does have some good tips on were to check. Thanks again!

Check the thread on fixing the SKB  200E forearm.  It will describe several problems and a couple of fixes.  If the wood is loose don't shoot it until you fix it or you will damage the wood even more.

Archived