SASS Wire Forum

Dimensions of the holes in a pistol holder rack?

Sgt. Saywut

I’ll be building a gun cart this winter, and was wondering if anyone could furnish the dimensions of the holes they cut in wooden racks for inserting pistols barrel down, grips up.  I’d like for the rack to hold 4-6 Vaqueros, Cattlemen, or No. 3 Schofields.   Another idea I have is to make a rack with a series of boxes with open tops and bottoms, and sides that slope inward to make an open-bottomed “V”.    That way I could  insert a pistol, barrel passing through the bottom, till the cylinder stopped against the sloped sides; this would allow me to store pistols of varying widths and lengths.   Has anyone done this latter as well?

7 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I've made mine like Tyrel did..

The round openings??

measure yer cylinders diameter and add a little..

To be fair, I didn't make that. It was purchased from a company that makes really good gun carts ;)

14 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I've made mine like Tyrel did..

The round openings??

measure yer cylinders diameter and add a little..

The problem is, I’d like to make them so they can handle more than one size cylinder ;)

1 minute ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

The problem is, I’d like to make them so they can handle more than one size cylinder ;)

I bought that from rugged gear carts, it holds  Colts/Ubertis/Piettas, Ruger Vaqueros, and Remington Clones just fine. I haven't tried any open top but see no reason why it wouldn't work for those.

Sgt,

My pards Rance and Cody have answered the question, but I will add I use New Vaqueros and a 2&1/8" hole saw works very well for the cylinder cut out.  I then use a coping saw for the upper and lower frame cut outs.  I am not sure about large framed Vaqueros but it should work for Colts, Ubertis, and Piettas.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I still shoot old model Vaquero's Smoke... So I'm thinkin they'll fit..

I'm kind thinkin the outside diameter on many of the cylinders are the same..

The chamber bore inside the cylinder makes it a different cal.

Yeah.. That's a simple statement..:mellow: I'm probably all wet :rolleyes:

I just don't think ya need to overthink it..

I made mine as a 4 pistol holder.. 2 sets..

I angled (turned) Each set of the 2 holes to the outside..

For easier access to a get the pistols from each side..

Rance ;)

April 2013 Chronicle page 26.  (Double click.  When the black page comes up double click again.  This should take you directly to the April 2013 edition.)

13aprchron.pdf

Archived