SASS Wire Forum

Vihtavuori 310/320 powder

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Looking for a different load for the wife's 44 Rugers, currently load a 165 grn bullet over Trail Boss. I have a reprint of a Vihtavuori loading manual that has loads for both their 310 and 320 powder, but all of their loads specify large magnum primers. Anybody have any real world experience with these powders and did you use magnum primers? And yes I can get get some magnum primers, just askin.

Thanks

IN THE PISTOLS, when I've used VV320 in .38 Special with regular primers, I've gotten quite a bit of unburned powder.  However, I'm now using VV310 with regular primers and all the powder is completely burned when firing.  In fact, the 310 is a very clean load.

In the rifle, I did not experience unburned powder with VV320.  But, I've switched there too -- to VV310.  

So, based on this limited and not entirely similar-to-your-situation experience, I'd say Magnum primers probably do make a noticeable difference in the pistols with VV320.  Again, I've had no bad behavior with VV310 and standard primers.

Hope this helps.

BTW, When we gonna see yous guys in our neighborhood?

1 minute ago, August West, SASS #45079 said:

IN THE PISTOLS, when I've used VV320 in .38 Special with regular primers, I've gotten quite a bit of unburned powder.  However, I'm now using VV310 with regular primers and all the powder is completely burned when firing.  In fact, the 310 is a very clean load.

In the rifle, I did not experience unburned powder with VV320.  But, I've switched there too -- to VV310.  

So, based on this limited and not entirely similar-to-your-situation experience, I'd say Magnum primers probably do make a noticeable difference in the pistols with VV320.  Again, I've had no bad behavior with VV310 and standard primers.

Hope this helps.

BTW, When we gonna see yous guys in our neighborhood?

Thanks, for the response, I happen to have a jug of 320 so I might try that with the magnum primers. I'll look for some 310 too.

We usually come down just before Thanksgiving, looking forward to shooting with you guys again.

I recently started shooting Vv N320 in both .45 Colt & Schofield with a 185gr Bear Creek Moly and Federal Match (Non-Magnum) Primers. 

Both are very smooth loads. A bit of "unburnt" now and then, nothing even worthy of a second thought. Cleans up very nice with Black Diamond.

Both N310 and N320 (N310 is a bit faster burning than N320) are Single-Base powders that will have a much smoother pressure curve than just about any Double-Base powder. I've yet to find one and I tried a lot of different powders looking for a replacement for the now discontinued IMR PB.

Vv N320 is a lot like IMR PB.

JFYI, Single-Base powders are made with Nitrocellulose, Double-Base have both Nitrocellulose & Nitroglycerin.

Archived