SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Airsoft

Wapaloosie73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Unfortunately no one showed up for the event.

Im going to have to do a lot more advertising and convincing I guess. But I'm not giving up!

Good luck with that.

But I can tell you this; I was watching this with interest until you began insulting and dismissing shooters attire, leather and appearance.

Snobs (not calling you one), thread counters and authenticity mandators have done more to kill interest in time based experiences than ANY other factor.

And at least in a "Re-enactment" - I know the outcome, the participants and the limits of the time frame. 

But YOU are not putting on a re-enactment - you are attempting to put on a western "cowboy" immersive experience without a predetermined outcome (dare I say, a game?).

And games require players - to get players; you may have to allow players to use their existing gear.

You posted a video of the SAA airsoft and by your own  thread - even the poor guy in the video shouldn't be allowed to play your game because of his buscadero leather.

The key to building anything is INCLUSIVE behavior - not EXCLUSIVE

If I was insulting? I apologize.

But I do want to run an immersive Airsoft event. I absolutely love researching different eras and recreating outfits as close as I possibly can. And in the past while running Vietnam Airsoft events I was extremely giving with my authentic gear to help people look the part. I don't think that is snobbish per say. But it does adhere to a standard.

But I realize Rome wasn't built in a day.

56 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

But I do want to run an immersive Airsoft event. I absolutely love researching different eras and recreating outfits as close as I possibly can. And in the past while running Vietnam Airsoft events I was extremely giving with my authentic gear to help people look the part. I don't think that is snobbish per say. But it does adhere to a standard.

An awful lot of "I" in those sentences - always ask yourself, are you putting on an event for yourself or for your customers?

I'm not picking - I really am not. 

I am a match director and club president and when you have a grand plan - sometimes the biggest challenge is choosing between the match YOU want to shoot and the match that will sell.

Sometimes remaining steadfast to the exacting standards of your idea - you may end up playing all by yourself. 

Or be willing to tweak and smooth an edge here and there and just maybe you get someone other folks to come play with you.

If I were you - I would sell it as Westworld (without the robot orgy and android issues)

And let the shooters determine which version of the old west is the one they want to play in.

Because lets face it - NO ONE wants to actually be a cowboy from the old west.

We all want to be the gritty hero who gets the girl.

The gunslinger - the sheriff - the gambler or even the guy with a fringed shirt and a guitar.

Let folks relive their childhood and "Bang, I got you"

Not relive their Junior High US history studies.

Solely my opinion.

How much for two sass and a 92, no shotguns

how did it go I'm more into laser conversions and running a laser match

@Creeker, SASS #43022

What about the version of the old west in which the guy shows up in white sneakers, real tree Camo pants, a red flannel shirt, a straw hat and a smith and wesson 29 in a drop leg holster?  What if he really really wants to use his M4 and promises to load only 15 bb's in each mag? It's all he has......

Where do you draw the line?

As the past owner of Spokane Airsoft I can tell you were this road leads. I can also tell you that people are willing to jump on a plane and fly thousands of miles for a immersive quality event. If there are low standards, then it's not really cowboy Airsoft.... it becomes a Airsoft pickup game....where you throw up your hands with uniforms and start applying red and blue arm bands like paintball.

I guess I don't understand because if a IPSC shooter showed up to one of your SASS club shoots? Would he be allowed to shoot with his guns and gear? No of course not. Then by your own logic your being exclusive and not inclusive right? Because the very nature of our sport (CAS) is not really inclusive, there are rules and basic minimums that seperate it from a bunch of guys shooting at a gravel pit.

If a Airsoft player has to build a cowboy impression from scratch? Why not do it right the first time? If the choice is Mexican loop vs buscadero? Why not buy or build the correct one? 

This is just my opinion as well.

13 minutes ago, Blackey Cole said:

How much for two sass and a 92, no shotguns

how did it go I'm more into laser conversions and running a laser match

I started a larger cowboy Airsoft forum on our Airsoft site. And have been trying to add resources for people. Here is a list of Airsoft western guns and prices.

http://www.spokanedevildogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=93

No one showed up last go around. 

I seriously applaud this effort to have other activities that are old west related.  This is awesome. I wish you all the best. 

If numbers are low maybe you could reenact a gunfight like the ok corral.  

Couldn't tell from the photos on the website if both shotguns had sawed off rear stocks or if it was a full shoulder stock.  I probably end up with two of the saas, Remington's and s&ws plus one each of the long guns before I settled into what worked the best but if the sags don't have shoulder stocks they are no good.

12 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

No one showed up last go around. 

I run (with a fair amount of help), a very successful club.

We have won the Wooly award for match of the year and our last annual in May sold out.

Yes, we have allowed (nay, encouraged), shooters to participate even if not attired perfectly because shooters being present and playing is infinitely more important than any "ideal" of historic compliance and adherence. 

If they enjoy the game, they will come back better equipped next time.

But hey, if you think encouraging folks to not play because they don't meet your standard is the way to go...

Let us know how that works out for you.  Oh, that's right; you already have.

Oh no. Heck no. If you think running a successful SASS event is anything like running a successful Airsoft event? Your way off your mark. 

Read that TACSOP and then tell me how strict I am..... I thought I was being fairly "inclusive".

http://milsimwest.com/tacsop

Josh Warren aka Ranger Warren is an old Airsoft buddy of mine. I would say his events are slightly more "exclusive" than what I was aiming for with TCOGG. Airsoft realism is wildly popular. 

Have you ever played in a organized Airsoft event? 

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Daniels said:

I seriously applaud this effort to have other activities that are old west related.  This is awesome. I wish you all the best. 

If numbers are low maybe you could reenact a gunfight like the ok corral.  

Appreciated! Thank you!

Here is a blank fire/Airsoft event we did back in 2010. (MCHA or Marine Corps Historical Assoc)

Its a reenactment of a Vietnam era USMC Basic Recon School.

Instructor cadre was fmr USMC, with the senior holding a Recon billet.

We had a FSB with tower and bunkers.

A jeep with a .30 cal.

prc 25 radios

M16's, XM177's, M60, Ak 47, SKS, RPK, M 79 arsenal.

tons of pyro

An NVA/VC opfor

mountain hamlets to spy on and raid

1969 playboys in our foot lockers ;)

It was a lot of fun!

On 8/1/2017 at 8:03 PM, Blackey Cole said:

Couldn't tell from the photos on the website if both shotguns had sawed off rear stocks or if it was a full shoulder stock.  I probably end up with two of the saas, Remington's and s&ws plus one each of the long guns before I settled into what worked the best but if the sags don't have shoulder stocks they are no good.

Sorry I missed this. I think if you shop around you can find full stock versions.

The 1887 definitely does.

****added****

1) Date has been reset for the weekend of Sept 30th - Oct 1st.

2) The new price for the 2 day event is 25 bucks.

3) There is NO mandatory impression requirements for this first time event. 

4) Evike.com is having a 20 % off on everything in stock including, AK Winchester 1892, Wingun Colt SAA and Legends Smoke wagon Colt SAA. 

The Schofield is due out in November.

Airsoft is a great way to shoot yer buddies and still blow the suds off a cold one after. And brag about how you snuck around his flank and shot him in the butt!!;)

I've been talking with creeker behind the scenes and some of his points I think are valid. But in my mind more with the CAS crowd, which is his expertise. If loosening the standards to include some Hollywood esque impressions gets people involved? So be it. Hopefully being in a two airsoft event will make them want to become more authentic. 

Been skirmishing with my AK (Winchester) 1892 and Legends smoke wagon (Colt SAA) on the ranch here with my fellow Devil Dogs.

Some thoughts.

Rifle.

The rifle shoots hot. A minimum 75 ft engagement distance is needed. The rifle topped off with gas shoots close to 450 fps with .20's. When using .28's the rifle shot accurately, how accurate? As accurate as my TM M14 DMR......which I consider dang accurate.

When loading the rifle make sure to use loading block pushed firmly into the Kings loading gate on the side of the rifle, before pushing bb's with rod. It is feasible for a bb to get lodged inside the loading gate but not in the tube mag. Which will cause a jam and requires disassembly of the rifle. TAKE YOUR TIME LOADING!

The rifles we have are the real wood version. The wood is blonde and needs to be sanded and restrained darker. Fit and finish is ok for a 150 dollar rifle. Could be better could be worse. Interestingly I own a real steel 1892 clone, and I think with little fitting its butt stock would swap across pretty easy.

The lever action itself is smooth and gives a resounding CLACK when the action is cycled. And we have never had one misfeed. If you cock the rifle, be assured there is a bb in the chamber!

Pistol.

What can I say. The Colt SAA is the finest balanced pistol in the history of mankind. It just feels right and makes you feel like a gunslinger. Its six shots which go fast. You can either reload bbs into the back of the shells or drop the empty shells and reload them or buy extra shells and have them preloaded on your pistol belt. I have been simply reloading the shells while still in the cylinder. No hopup but with a fresh co2 cartridge and .28's its surprisingly accurate. We did some side matches of fast draw. At 30 paces we were hitting each other most often. When the co2 cartridge gets low the bb's will start flying left or right. Make sure you cock it all the way back before firing. And half cock works for reloading. The cylinder is abit stiff.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNdnlCbfMs[/youtube]

Gear.

If your not riding a horse, leather soled cowboy boots are a death trap. They are slick. Which is good when your foot is in a stirrup. You don't want your foot trapped if something goes wrong. But if your on foot? Your gonna need a cowboy boot with a rubber sole or a packer with rubber traction sole. Something leather with traction. Not the most authentic but this is where reenacting meets the sport of airsoft. Safety first.

You can carry extra cartridges for your pistol on your pistol belt. Make sure the ammo belt is .38 and not .44. Otherwise the shells will drop straight through. Your rifle ammo is just bb's so your gonna need either a pocket or a belt pouch to hold your bag of bb's and your bb loader. There is no other option to load the rifle.

Tactics.

Count your shots! A TM M16 low cap mag is 68 rounds........between your rifle and pistol? YOU HAVE 30 ROUNDS LOADED! If you love love love full auto hi caps and bb hoses? Cowboy Airsoft is not for you. These guns make you think about what you are doing. Use your pistol to defend yourself as you slink off behind a stump or a rock to reload your rifle. Or use the battle buddy system of one guy reloading as the other covers and fires. I can see instances where people who reload the fastest will win the fight. Your going to have to work to master these Cowboy Airsoft guns.... It's not as simple as winding your hicap, slapping it in the mag well and turning the fire selector to "rock and roll". Its about careful aimed shots and out maneuvering your opponent. And of course the clicks of the Colt being cocked or the "CLACK CLACK" of a lever action being cocked is just PURE FUN. And adds to the realism.

Lastly, Cowboy Airsoft is all about the SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE. Wanna wear a brace (two) of colts cross draw? Do you draw with a cavalry twist like wild Bill? A chest holster like John Wesley Hardin? How you dress and carry your guns is entirely up to you within the old west. It's a civilian world and unlike today? The general populace were better armed than the US Army was. Just ask General Custer......

I'm still very much tinkering with my gear and guns to make them suit me the best. I'm sure you will as well.

Archived