SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 44-40 difficult chambering

Black Mike

Something you could try for shortening dies, is check a local engine repair shop.  I have used the valve grinding machine where I used to work  ( nobody grinds valves anymore[ The attachment that dresses the end of the stem does a beautiful job.       GW

I still don't believe that you have to physically modify your dies.

I am using Lee dies as they came from the factory.   After you carefully set them up, they work just fine.  

I've got them in a Lyman turret press.  

Put the decapper/sizing die in first hole.  With the shell holder installed, lower the arm all the way.  Screw in the die until it just touches the shell holder.

Put the powder through the expander die in the next hole.  Put an empty case in the press and lower the arm.  Screw in the die until you feel resistance.  Take the case out and if you want more bell, screw the die in a little more.  If you want less, screw out a little.  Work it until you find the amount of bell you want.

Put the seating die in the next hole.  Put a bullet in the case and lower the arm.  Screw down the seating plunger down till you feel it touching the bullet.  Raise and lower the arm screwing the seating plunger in more until the crimp groove is even with the top of the case.

Put the Factory Crimp die in the next hole.   Crimp.

You gotta be a little meticulous setting all up, but once you have done so, everything should be fine.

The newer Lee dies may come with the bottom end beveled.

This was done because on the Dillon press shell plate there is a shoulder that interfered with the die going all the was down and forming the case shoulder low enough to be within spec.

20 years of reloading, I have only had to do this for the Dillon press.

On your Lyman press, you most likely have not encountered this issue.

I can not say. I do not have experience on the Lyman press.

Archived