SASS Wire Forum

Hip replacement questions

Blue Wolf, I had my right hip replaced in January, but I had my left shoulder replaced last week. So I haven't shot yet. I will tell you that after following all the Physical Therapy I have recovered very nicely with my hip, and would otherwise be trying to shoot this coming weekend. I feel better hip wise than I did before I stopped shooting over two years ago.  It's all on how good your surgeon is, how well you take to it and how you recover. Everyone is different just follow the surgeons and PT instructions and don't overdue it.  Good luck.

Thanks, Stud. I've been shooting Wartrace regular but alas you've been absent. Hope your doing well and we get to see each other soon. Maybe at the Tennessee state match. I plan to be there.

Tom, the surgeon does anterior procedure. I heard it's faster recovery. What are your limitations on hip? 

2 minutes ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

Thanks, Stud. I've been shooting Wartrace regular but alas you've been absent. Hope your doing well and we get to see each other soon. Maybe at the Tennessee state match. I plan to be there.

Hey... big guy... I ain't been there... cause I been stupid.

ts

My surgeon also did the anterior approach. I'm almost at full range of motion, I had my surgery on January 5th and have been using my treadmill for weeks. Haven't need a cane since after the first 6 weeks. The first five to six days were the worst and then I progressed rapidly. However I'm not allowed to use my inversion table for my back anymore, Dr says it could pull my hip out of the socket.

Like any thing else there are failures along with the success's.  I had my left hip done in Sept.  I'm now a cripple, good doctor with hundreds done but every now and then ?????.  Check and make sure your insurance allows corrective surgery in a timely manner.  In a pain clinic I met three other hip recipients that were less than successful.  Good luck 

45 minutes ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

Glad your doing good with hip. Shoulder will probably take awhile to recover. Will you be shooting Tennessee state this year?

Assuming you're addressing me. Probably not, I might be having the other hip and other shoulder getting done as soon as I recover from this one. Incidentally, before the hip surgery I had to use a device to put on my socks, and my shoes were tied loosly so I could slip them on standing. Now I can put my shoes and socks on no trouble.

like Twelve Mile Reb said, there's always a chance of problems.  I wore my leg socks for a week longer to prevent blood clots. I have a heart condition. I had to double my pain meds the first 5 days. I meet a lot of others and took their advice. Also got a lot of good advice from cowboys here on the wire for my shoulder.  I'm sure that quite a few more will chime in to tell you of their experience. Best community in the world!

Twelve Mile Reb,

I'm  sorry about your condition. I hope it works out for you. I'm  not without reservations about this. I've known people who had terrible experiences. One was Bama Red, he had a bad knee replacement. Ended losing his leg. He still was able to shoot one last match before he passed. A few of us visited him in hospital during when they took knee out and put in medicated spacer. The infection was just too much, though. 

I finally decided to do it because it will only get worse from now on. 

Tom,

Thanks for the replies. Hope to see on the range sometime.

4 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Keep the hip, replace everything else.

There's a thought. I like the other way, so I have a more harmonious  outcome. Maybe anyway. I hear all the top shooters are going bionic.LOL

Had to edit couldn't think of harmonious. That truck sure messed with thinking sometimes. LOL.

Archived