SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range with Cap and Ball Revolvers...

Texas Lizard

Brought 8 to shoot...7 tuned up...One just to try...Have not shot for about two years, came here just to get away...Trying something new...No practice time, just decided to do it...After 6 stages switched over to shot gun and rifle only...Loader did not work well, powder measure gave problems, snail caper did not right, and in line did not either, barrel wedges gave problems too, along with other things...Felt lucky shot gun and rife kept working...Did I fun YES...Will I try it again...Yes...Don't want them to have the best of me...Not yet any way

For information there was four 1851 Marshals, three 1860s and one snub nose SS Colt 1860...Yes I cut the to three inches...

Try it with two ruger old army's, a tower of power cylinder loader, no10 Remington caps, Ted Nash powder flask and snail capper with a tip of antler to seat the caps firmly. Never Ada miss fire if I dried the cylinders the beginning of the day and loaded the correctly. In other words if I did my job they did theirs.

Good Morning TL:

Sorry to hear about your cap gun problems.

I have not modified my cappers to work with my Marshals either

My other Pietta cap guns have more room in the capping area, and a groove that goes down towards the nipple.

The Marshals don't and my Ted Cash cappers need to be modified.

Neither the teardrop or the straight-line cappers work.

When I get mine done, I'll send you one that you can copy.

Is your cylinder loader a Powder inc. or Tower of Power?

I'm going next year & bringing cap guns, so, if you have not worked the problems out by then, we can work 'em out together!

Or commiserate together :D

But ya had fun, and to me anyways, that's the most important!

Take care my friend

--Dawg

Problems with C&B revolvers are always frustrating... Gotta have your equipment working right. Glad you're having fun regardless!

Good Morning TL:

Sorry to hear about your cap gun problems.

I have not modified my cappers to work with my Marshals either

My other Pietta cap guns have more room in the capping area, and a groove that goes down towards the nipple.

The Marshals don't and my Ted Cash cappers need to be modified.

Neither the teardrop or the straight-line cappers work.

When I get mine done, I'll send you one that you can copy.

Is your cylinder loader a Powder inc. or Tower of Power?

I'm going next year & bringing cap guns, so, if you have not worked the problems out by then, we can work 'em out together!

Or commiserate together :D

But ya had fun, and to me anyways, that's the most important!

Take care my friend

--Dawg

Was using Tower of Power...I think I need to work it over or change to a different one...Might just go with a hammer and rod...If you get there next year I should have the bugs worked out...I hope...

TL

Archived