SASS Wire Forum

Gun Range Enviromental Enforcement

Jim No Horse

Does anyone know of enforcement action taken in Texas by EPA or the TCEQ, (Texas Council on Environmental Quality) for lead problems at gun ranges. Farr Ranger has been quoting legal jargon to me about their jurisdiction. He's been studying up and he doesn't think they have much jurisdiction until the gun range is abandoned. Who would abandon a perfectly good gun range? Has anyone heard different? Thanks Jim

I would think that if you abandoned a gun range, it would be in your best interest to bury the dirt from the berms under about 10 feet of dirt. The EPA is notoriously lazy and if the bureaucrat can't find the lead contamination, he'll just go away.

Jim,

I don't know anything about Texas, but this document was very helpful when our landlord wanted us to start a lead abatement program.

For some reason I can't give you the link to the document titled : Best management practices for lead at outdoor shooting ranges

EPA-902-B-01-001

Revised June 2005

Region 2

From the introduction:

The USEPA would like to acknowledge the support of:

• The National Rifle Association of America

• The National Shooting Sports Foundation

Jasper

Thanks for the links...any info on this topic would be helpful to us...Again thanks Jim

Archived