SASS Wire Forum

WTB Rossi 92 buttstock

Rube Burrows

Looking for a Rossi 92 buttstock.

Gun is one of the older Rossi pre safety 92s in .45 Colt.

Original stock was shortened for a youth shooter who has since outgrown it.

Originally it was on a .357. Inswaped it out with my .45 stock so he could still shoot but now I want to shoot the .45 some and the buttstock is a tad too short.

Please let me know what you if any of you have something.

Thanks pards.

I bought a take-off from M & M Gunsmithing for a reasonable price

http://www.mmgunsmith.com/

--Dawg

Scab a piece of wood on, shape it to match, cover it with leather. $25 fix.

I still have the original piece that was cut off. I thought about just attaching it back but was not sure how to properly attach it nor how well it would hold up.

Glue with wood glue. When dry, drill two 1/4 inch diameter holes through added piece and into the buttstock about 2 or 3 inches deep. Use a couple of pieces of wooden dowel rod the proper size to fit the holes, glue them in with wood glue. When dry, cut and sand them flush with the face. Sand and clean up the joint line where you glued the piece back on. Cover with a leather butt cover. Two or three evenings of 30 minutes each, biggest time is giving the wood glue time to dry.

Glue with wood glue. When dry, drill two 1/4 inch diameter holes through added piece and into the buttstock about 2 or 3 inches deep. Use a couple of pieces of wooden dowel rod the proper size to fit the holes, glue them in with wood glue. When dry, cut and sand them flush with the face. Sand and clean up the joint line where you glued the piece back on. Cover with a leather butt cover. Two or three evenings of 30 minutes each, biggest time is giving the wood glue time to dry.

You mean I should glue it first and then remove the crescent butt plate and drill the holes from back to front into part of the stock I glued it on too?

I would remove the buttplate first, then go through the steps I described. The dowels are going to give you tremendous shear strength.

I'm no wood worker but it sure sounds doable. Think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

Archived