SASS Wire Forum

I'm thinking of trying something new this EOT a couple of the side matches and need help

Blackey Cole

I've had a derringer for a few years but didn't get a 22lr barrel until this past year. Prior to that I was going to use 45 colt.but now that I got the S&W pocket pistol and some magtech lrn ammo I no reason not to stop by before or after the swap meet ant try them out.

First my understanding for most derringer matches is loaded at low ready barrel touching the table tab fire two rounds. Fastest time wins. Miss is a five second pentaly. Is this correct or do they have you reload and fire four rounds?

I'm have not followed how the pocket pistol scenario goes but suspect that it's the same except fire five rounds or ten rounds. If it's a da can you shoot it da or must you shoot it sa.

This is why I wish that they would put all match scenarios in the shooters book. They do for main CAS, wbas, warm ups for both and plainesman they mention the side matches just stating when and where.

I understand side matches are usually created after the main match is setup and allot depends on what berm they end up on. But a little heads up would be nice for the first time shooter who has been wanting to try them out. In the past it's been because I wasn't equipped. Then I needed the time to rest up after the accident. This year it's up in the air but I'm taking everything since I'm staying onsite and will need something to do and those two guns fit in my old wb would championship gun case from years ago so it's not like have to carry guns for plainsman , long range and CAS I'm just caring the CAS and pp/ derringer guns this year next I might add in the plainsman guns if I feel up to it. Then I might get in the long range after that. Just to see what I like the ones I'm missing are the rimfire matches.

Derringer matches can be completely different depending on where you shoot them, sometimes you have to pick the gun up off the table and shoot it at two different targets, sometimes you have to have it in your hand at the ready and hit a 6" pie plate at eye level, sometimes you have to drop a deck of cards, pick it up and shoot at anything from a clay target to a 60" target.

Pocket pistol will run along the same lines

In the early days, I have seen a reload.

However, this has changed with safety in mind.

Too many people do not know to put the gun in half cock before loading. ( thus the firing pin is protruding when you close it up )

Also with the short barrel, it is easy to end up pointing the wrong way.

Anyways, I would not expect to see a reload on the clock.

Like others, I have seen the move away from reloads on the derringer side matches due to safety. You have folks who may only shoot that gun for a side match once or twice a year, and some trying their buddies gun.

If you'd like to practice, try it in hand muzzle on the table, and picking it up off a table as those are the two most common.

Have fun Blacky!

Grizz

Archived