SASS Wire Forum

I'm outta practice

Buffalo Douglas

Got started on my gun cart this afternoon. I've got the bottom section all finished up minus the storage box and wheels (wheels are on order, going to attempt the box tomorrow). It took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but it's coming along pretty well. The sides are red ceder and the bottom (floor?) is tongue and groove white pine. I'm thinking of using Hickory for the sides once I get to that point. Then do a natural finish, or maybe go the gun stock route and used boiled linseed oil, not sure yet. It's not the prettiest girl at the ball, but it'll be functional when it's done. Fits well in the Jeep, and is nice an light so far.

It's been a long time since I've done any major woodworking like this. Since getting out of school, it's only been decks and structural stuff, no furniture type building. I'm outta practice. Good thing I started my first cart with cheap wood :D

My wife saw what I was doing and I've got more practice lined up after this cart. I get to build her a bookshelf once I'm done with this :)

Anyway enough talk, here's the picture of my progress so far.

Bottom%20section_zps1bbgm9r3.jpg

Looking good to me...congratulations. ..good luck with those bookshelves. ...Jim

Nice job BD, keep the pictures coming.

My Jeep was quite the sight to see coming back from Menards this morning. 8' boards hanging out the back - tied to the roll bar, My new addition of a table saw (I've been wanting one for a long time, it wasn't just for the cart) barely fit underneath the roll bar and speaker bar. Every time I saw someone get close to me in my side-view mirrors they backed off.... Don't know why.... It was all secured well.... They must have all thought I was the typical idiot with not a care in the world.

Hopefully I'll get the box mostly done tomorrow. I forgot to pick up hinges, so that will have to wait until at least noon as no stores are open before then in ND.

Got going today on the cart and just couldn't stop. I was only planning on doing the box. Ended Up taking care of the sides and handle too. The box is red ceder for the sides and top and bottom is the tongue and groove white pine. I'm thinking I might add a seat cushion eventually as well. The sides are Hickory. The handle rails are hickory as well, with a white oak dowel for the push handle.

Got all the hardware on minus wheels and the front feet. If it stays nice out tomorrow I will try to finish the dividers for the gun rest and may strip it down, sand it, and put on the first coat of finish. I do need to find some brass chain for the box lid and felt for the gun rest. Menard's didn't have any, at least not that I could find. I may have to check the little hardware store. I might have better luck there. They tend to have more crafty type stuff.

For the dowel, I'm thinking about leaving it long on both sides and drilling a hole through each end and then glue in a nice peg.

With%20a%20SxS_zpsidpdwnyg.jpg

Everything%20minus%20wheels_zpsyrj2yrhe.

Got it sanded and stained today. Used my Dremel to route out my alias and SASS # onto the side handles, then painted that in with black acrylic paint. Next step, varnish.stained_zpsbnzrsdnp.jpg

7223180d-76d5-436d-b3ad-5027bb429545_zps

I always love the way the wood looks after that first coat of varnish

One problem: It will only carry 4 guns gotta need to double that for down the trail :)

Go for the cushion on the seat--it will be well worth it at about stage 5 or 6 of a match

Very nicely done--shows true craftsmanship

cr

I'm almost done. Gluing up the gun rest blocks now. Once those are dry, I'll line the remainder of the gunrest with felt. Then all that's left is cutting down the axle once my wheels get here and adding my furniture pegs. I can't seem to find any type of decorative pegs locally for the handle. I may have to peruse online. For now, it's a tight enough fit where I don't have to worry about it falling out during use. If anyone knows of a good source send me a message or comment in the post.

For my first build, I'm pretty happy. I'm sure down the road it won't hold enough guns but for now, It'll work out just perfect for me and the guy I go to shoots with. Neither one of us has any backup guns. So 2 rifles and 2 doubles is all the room we'll need.... for now. The only thing I may improve on down the road is the box. I think I may do it differently. I picked up a set of dado blades for my saw (took me a while to find a 6" set) and I may make a new box with box joints instead of just screwing through the ends. Then I would have room to properly set up a box with a removable shelf like in the plastic tool boxes they sell. For now though, I'm happy with the somewhat rustic look, complete with an "antique" knob.

I would like to give a thank you to a couple of cowboys. First, Rolan Kraps for the free plans that you have made available online. I'm sure many of you recognize the basic design of this one. It was a fun learning process going through that and making my own along with it. Second to Grizzley Dave. Your YouTube videos on your cart build answered all the questions I had about cart building, and raised a couple of points I hadn't thought of. I probably wouldn't have attempted this on my own without the resources you two have made available, so thank you.

Well I'll be quite busy with work for the next few weeks. When I get back to a normal easy working pace, I'll get it all finished up and post a final picture.

20160511_212546_zpsa1hc3ubr.jpg

Archived