SASS Wire Forum

Marlin rifle 101

Knarley Bob

I've been looking at all sorts of sights for Marlins. And I have seen hoods for the front sights. Some cover the whole sight, some don't. The ones with a cutout baffle me, what good are they?

I have also noticed that you can buy a hood, but not a hooded sight. That baffles me too.

Am I safe to assume that the hood will only fit sights that are screwed onto the front of the rifle? If so, what does one do for a dove tailed sight? And to get a hooded front sight for a dove tailed barrel, does one have to get one of those globe sights?

As far as the back end, most tang sights won't fit a '93. A receiver sight according to SASS is illegal, you can't have a peep on the barrel ,EXCEPT a drilled out ladder sight for side matches. :blink::wacko:

So, what are the options that will please everyone for a side match long range rifle, in rifle caliber?? Hopefully they aren't different for a pistol caliber rifle, or is that a rifle caliber pistol? :P

Knarley

The cutout on the top is for low light conditions. It allows you to see the blade if it's gloomy out. Best way to get a hood on a dovetailed sight is a globe. Lyman 17A is best choice. (Right height, of course.)

MVA makes a base specifically for the 1983 Marlin that works with Soule sights and is listed on their website. I suspect that if you contact the other sight makers they may also make one that will clear the bolt of your 1893.

Also ask about a Goodwin Style soule sight staff. Kelly makes them for rifles like the Gibbs and other front stuffers. He should be able to set you up with one for your 1893. Guarantee that it will clear the bolt.

Pedersoli also makes a Goodwin style soule sight that is available from Cherry's. The Pedersoli has a universal base that accommodates different hole spacing and tang to barrel angles.

Goodwin Sight

USA407.jpg

Archived