SASS Wire Forum

Amazon Prime video - westerns

Grizzly Dave

Clue me in to what westerns are on prime right now please.

watched Bone Tomahawk there last night after Larsen clued me, have to admit I haven't thought to check there for a while.

Walk Like a Dragon. I've been waiting decades to see this again. Mel Torme plays the Deacon, a gunfighter who trains a Chinese laborer to take on Jack Lord, who rescued the laborer's girlfriend from a brothel. Now the girlfriend feels honor bound to stay with Jack and his mother, and laborer doesn't like it. Throughout, Mel sings "I'm just a poor wayfarin' stranger" until laborer gets sick of the song and decides to practice on the Deacon before going after Lord. I may have gotten a few of the details wrong (remember, I haven't seen it in decades), but I believe this was the first movie to talk about the Chinese in the Old West, as well as interracial romance. It's also one of James Clavell's first directing gigs. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a "buy" option of any sort; you can't download it to your computer (but you can stream it) but I have downloaded it to my Kindle Fire. From there, I may be able to get it onto my laptop and then to a DVD.

Clue me in to what westerns are on prime right now please.

watched Bone Tomahawk there last night after Larsen clued me, have to admit I haven't thought to check there for a while.

Howdy Grizzly Dave....if you'll log into your Amazon Prime video page and input the search "western movies in prime video" you find 1440 listings. I ain't perused the whole list but that oughta give you a place to start.

Kajun

Everyone has different tastes in Westerns, and mine change from time to time. Right now, I'm on a real "oldies" kick.

Some of the ones on my watchlist That I've enjoyed are Straight Shooter with Tim McCoy, Courageous Avenger with Johnny Mack Brown, Trailing Trouble with Ken Maynard, and Sagebrush Trail with John Wayne.

One that maybe from the 50's as opposed to the 30's that I enjoyed a lot was Four Faces West with Joel McCrea. It's a little more plot oriented vs. pure action, but I liked it.

My whole watchlist is mostly Westerns and there's still a ton I either haven't seen, or haven't seen in the past 15 years or so. So I won't comment on them until I watch them.

Sadly work gets in the way of both my Western viewing and Western reading past times.

Archived