SASS Wire Forum

SOLD/Cody-Matic '73 .357

I'm offering my Taylor Uberti Cody-Matic .357. It was a full rifle that Cody shortened to 18 3/4, lightened the barrel so it balances at mid elevator, forward receiver. I removed the "C" buttplate, altered the stock to fit the custom leather boot, so you can't go back to "C" butt plate.

It's a full house, short stroke with full buck horn rear, used as a peep sight for the big white bead. Center the bead in the full buckhorn circle and the bullet hits where you're looking. To me, that's the fastest set up for CAS.

I had the side plates engraved, so had to replace them. The case colors aren't exact, but pretty close.

Cody Conagher offers these for $1490 with full house action job.

I used Moulton Lead 147 Truncated Cone bullets in .38 Spec cases over 3.0 gr. Clays. This bullet maintains the length of the .357, which helps this type action feed and cycle super fast.

I'm offering this one, shipped for $1175.

DF

007_4.jpg

003_4.jpg

001_4.jpg

026_1.jpg

041_1.jpg

044_1.jpg

PM's answered.

One was who made the leather boot for the stock. It was Beargunz, now living in Houston. He's part time in leather work and his skill as a craftsman will stand up to some big names in the business.

Another wanted to know what Cody did to lighten the barrel. He cut it to 18 3/4" and took metal from under the forearm. It was barrel heavy to me and now balances between the loading slot and the front of the receiver, about midway on the ctg. elevator.

Another question, how short was the short stroke and did it have the welded trigger. When I got it around 10 years ago, I don't think they were into the super short stroke and it may have the welded trigger. It's the technology Cody was using at that time.

I put the engraved side plates on my Pioneer Carbine. I'm keeping it because I fitted custom wood, had it checkered. To me, the Cody-Matic is faster than the Pioneer, which seems tighter. They're both short stroke and great guns.

Here's how the Pioneer looks with the engraved case colored side plates. Sorta different...

DF

014_2.jpg049_1.jpg

046_2.jpg050.jpg

I shoot 105 gr at a length of 1.47. Are you saying these will give issues in your gun? You have exactly what I have been looking for. Let me know.

The gun will cam most any .38 spec load back into the mag tube as the elevator/carrier rises. With rounds as close to .357 length as possible, there is less cam effort needed as the elevator slides upward.

You know it's the round in the elevator/carrier that keeps the rounds pushed back against spring tension in the mag tube. There is no catch or mechanical device that does that.

I found this load with the extra long bullet accomplishes that without having to use .357 brass.

Yes, it will cycle most any .38 Spec load, just slicker with this set up, IME. I evolved into two loads, one for pistol and this one for the rifle. These bullets tend to lead in the pistol, do great in the rifle. I have a set of short stroked Rugers that love that 105 bullet, are regulated for it. Two loads aren't a problem for me, but this rifle will work with the 105's. May have to adjust the buckhorn for that load.

Notice the stippled area in one of the photos. I did that to have a memory spot to rest my thumb. I find it by feel.

DF

Archived