SASS Wire Forum

SOLD Dick Dastardly Big Lube 45-250 six cavity mold and handles

Wasatch Lawman

Hey Lawman, do you happen to know what size the mold throws? I suppose I could get that info from Dicks web page but thought you may know off hand.

Thanks!

-JD

Size of the bullet will depend on a few things, like temp of the mould while casting and also the lead alloy used. But from my experience DD tends to have his moulds cut on the small side, so I wouldn't expect a .455 bullet. Does this mould have an aluminum or steel sprue plate?

Their site says it throws .456 Just went out and measured a few in my bin and found they range from .456 to .458/9ish. The bigger sized were a little frosted. I cast these with straight wheel weight lead.

I have been using them in a H&R 45-70 black powder/corn meal loads for Plainsman events. A very accurate and light combo.

It has an aluminum sprue plate.

Measuring is always best. Glad he got the sizes up on his moulds.

So are these molds for 45-70 bullets or 45 colt? I haven't started casting yet so perhaps that's a dumb question.

No such thing as a dumb question.... :) although I think I've asked my fair share of them. HA!

I think these would be closer to the 45/70 size. I shoot .452 out of my 45 colt and .459 out of my 45/70

-JD

No such thing as a dumb question.... :) although I think I've asked my fair share of them. HA!

I think these would be closer to the 45/70 size. I shoot .452 out of my 45 colt and .459 out of my 45/70

-JD

Same here, but I've never shot a 45/70 that was only 250 grains. I stick to 405 and up

This mould was designed to be a 45 Colt bullet, but apparently is was cut a bit large. Many people shoot lighter bullets in their 45/70 in cowboy matches, no need to destroy the steel and your shoulder.

Like Slim said this mold was made for ,45 Colt. I got tired of the recoil in my 45/70 when using it to shoot the Plainsman events so I just tried these bullets with a light black powder/cornmeal load. It worked great. I had to adjust the crimp just a tad tighter to hold in the 45/70. I use wheel weight lead and found that when my pot nears 800 degrees the mold drops frosted bullets at around .457-.459. From the manufactures site they say they are designed to drop at .456, which I can get between 700-750 degrees.

For the 45/70 I run them through my .459 lubersizer.

When I use these for my .45 Colt loads, I use the .452 lubersizer.

I have a couple of these molds so I thought I would sell one set.

I can give you specifics of my 45/70 load via a PM

Wasatch

Archived