SASS Wire Forum

Competing is not assured for handicapped shooters.

Leadnose Calhoun

I have no problems with reasonable efforts to help disabled shooters. I DO have a problem where requests become demands or where the effort involved compromises the ability to stage matches in a timely or safe manner.

We have never had an issue where a disabled shooters couldn't participate at our range to my knowledge. But we are a Baby Boomer sport with a aging demographic. Age WILL naturally limit our participation as disabilities occur.

And Just as I wouldn't dream of demanding to have the NBA allow wheelchair players on their team or to lower the net to allow Midgets er, height challenged/little people/whatever PC term to dunk we have to be realistic that there are some who just can't participate in our sport.

There are LOTS of shooting disciplines available for those that are completely disabled, bench rest shooting, long range etc. But the action shooting sports have natural limitations due to the movement involved and required. Just a fact of life...

Once a club sends out an invite for people to attend an event they have opened the door for compliance with the "Americans with Disabilities Act". Which in essence says you must provide reasonable acommodation's to allow the disabled person to have a similar experience that an able bodied person does. I have seen walkers, wheelchairs and scooters being used. In most instances the shooter had someone with them to aid in gun handling and movement.

Unless they can provide a reasonable, not made up, safety concern I would push them on it. Ask what their concerns are. Maybe they think they are looking out for you.

Ike

I forgot, Winter Range has shooters in wheelchairs competing. They also have mud, sand etc and normal shooting bays with movement. The shooters helper pushed him through the movement. And oh yeah, he had a blast.

From the ADA website:

Private clubs and religious organizations are exempt from the ADA's title III requirements for public accommodations.

However, with that said, I can't imagine a club not making accommodations, within the guidelines of safety, to allow a differentially abled cowboy to shoot a match.

I'm an amputee (right leg) and I currently use a walker when I shoot, to keep me stable on my prosthesis. Folks on my posse will carry my long guns form the LT and stage them for me, and then carry them to the ULT when I'm done the stage. At my home club, the only place I've shot since the amputation, there has never been any question about me shooting there. It was always assumed I'd be back shooting when I felt I could do it without danger to others or myself. I've pulled out of monthly shoots when I did not feel quite "right" about some aspect of my abilities. I've told the club to stop me if I do anything approaching an unsafe act. I feel very comfortable that I'll be given no leeway when it comes to safety and that's just fine with me.

There's a lot of us with disabilities of one sort or another in SASS and more with every year, as our demographic ages. Good shooting to all y'all, no matter your physical condition.

Helping a pard comes natural to most cowboys. A lot depends on the range itself. I recall a few years back a shooter in a mobility scooter at GOA burned up his motor trying to navigate the hill there. Some ranges are pretty flat and easy to get around, others are not really suitable for canes, walkers, wheelchairs and scooters. If you are thinking of going to a range you haven't been to, it is a good idea to get a literal "lay of the land" first. Maybe a pard you know has been there, maybe you can ask someone from the host club to send you some pictures?

Our stove up pards know their limitations better than we do, just ask then what they can and can't manage - they will let us know. Reading these posts, they are also very aware of safety and know when to cut back, sit one out or limit what they do. I've never seen a match, local or otherwise that didn't accommodate a pard that needed it and I hope I never do.

+1

Some ranges the shooter needs to be part billy goat.

I'm an amputee (right leg) and I currently use a walker when I shoot, to keep me stable on my prosthesis. Folks on my posse will carry my long guns form the LT and stage them for me, and then carry them to the ULT when I'm done the stage. At my home club, the only place I've shot since the amputation, there has never been any question about me shooting there. It was always assumed I'd be back shooting when I felt I could do it without danger to others or myself. I've pulled out of monthly shoots when I did not feel quite "right" about some aspect of my abilities. I've told the club to stop me if I do anything approaching an unsafe act. I feel very comfortable that I'll be given no leeway when it comes to safety and that's just fine with me.

There's a lot of us with disabilities of one sort or another in SASS and more with every year, as our demographic ages. Good shooting to all y'all, no matter your physical condition.

Hey Red,

Mosey on over to Doc Holliday's in Griffin Georgia on a second Saturday. We'll be glad to have you shoot with us! It's only two or three hours (one way ;) )

Archived