SASS Wire Forum

EOT Long Range

Noah Cash

Howdy pards and pardettes,

Looks like Hilda Billie and I may be heading for EOT this year, finally get to hit that one cause we are unable to make W/R next week. Hilda Billie just got a Remington Rolling block in 40/70SS that she really enjoys shooting, and wants to try her hand at the Long range side matches at EOT.

Can someone give us an idea of the long range distances at EOT, for the single shot, (with her Rem) the lever action Rifle caliber ( with a Mod 94 in .32 Spec ) and the lever action pistol caliber (44-40 Mod 73) as used at EOT?

I have shot the long range at W/R and had a blast, pardon the pun, and the changing between the 2 different distances is a challenge. If we know about the distances at EOT it would help her learn how to use the tang vernier sight.

One additional question, my assumption is that shooting sticks are ok at EOT?? Is the match run about the same way it is at W/R ? Sticks and any position? sitting/prone/standing??

Thanks for any info on EOT, I really want to keep her interest up and participating with the SASS family!

Founders Ranch has a location where we can shoot from ~160 yards to ~280 yards. However, that location is not used during EOT as its use would interfere with mounted shooting. I helped run the "long range" side match last year at EOT. Shooting was off sticks (bring your own) or off hay bales if you pleased. Most competitors shot seated. Distance was only about 50 yards. You don't need heavy, long distance loads. Accurate loads that you can print 2-inch groups at 50 yards will do. If I run side matches this year I will look forward to meeting you and your wife.

Are these scored for accuracy, or most hits in a time period with time as tie breaker, or ????????

The ones I've shot at EOT were most number of hits on target, with ties decided by the elapsed time.

But, I've not shot that for the last 5 years or so, because it has become a "speed" match with those rules.

However, sometimes things change depending upon who runs the side match. As has happened with .22 rifle side match over the last five years - different every year. :o

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the reply's folks. I will have Hilda Billie (and ME!) concentrate on the 50 yard targets and although we aren't practiced enough to worry ourselves about winning, we will have a great time. In all honesty we are not normally competitive enough to work hard enough to win, we just want to have a good time with our new found family. Yee-Hawww , EOT here we come

Archived