SASS Wire Forum

Modern Spartan Systems

Doc Tombstone, SASS #49630

Just saw the post on Frog Lube and it made me think of the MSS, I only heard of it yesterday and followup internet research makes me think it might be the next great thing. I have ordered some already and will be looking forward to trying it on my SASS guns and hunting guns. In a nutshell it is a cleaning/lubricating/accuracy enhancement system. Been around about a year from what I can gather.

I received a sample from the manufacturer. They recommend a lengthy process of "treating" the bore i.e. shoot-swab-shoot-swab-shoot-swab. While that is all well and good, it seemed a little too involved for this simpleton so I just used it as a cleaner after putting quite a few rounds downrange with my '73, an AR and an M-1 Garand. For a test, I cleaned the bores as usual using my regular bore cleaner until the patches came out with touches of light grey left. OK, so now they must be clean, right? Then I used the Spartan cleaner to see what they results would be and then the patches started coming out black. I could not believe how much more left over carbon came out of those barrels. After cleaning, Spartan recommends that you treat the bore with their oil which will treat the barrels and make cleaning the bores easier with each successive use. For a first time use just using it as a cleaner I was impressed and will see how well it works in the future. YMMV

Boothill

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like nobody much uses it, since only one member spoke up. Also, he was going to report back and didn't so maybe it didn't turn out so good. Makes you wonder.

Hey, one testimonial on the Spartan website frontpage says he was getting 'slightly larger than 1/8" groups at 100 yards' after using the stuff.

Unfortunately, that sounds like something from China with testimonials like that.

Hey, one testimonial on the Spartan website frontpage says he was getting 'slightly larger than 1/8" groups at 100 yards' after using the stuff.

Unfortunately, that sounds like something from China with testimonials like that.

On a good day, if I hold my tongue just right, I can do that with my 6.5 Creedmoor. I clean it with Hoppe's. Of course, a Night Force scope and an excellent F Class bipod help a lot!

Archived