SASS Wire Forum

1851 Navy Problems

Big Sarge

I picked up a pair of used 1851 Navies (steel frame) with 5 inch barrels. They are used and I have had to work some "kinks" out of them. I finally got them in shooting condition and I'm having problems with shot grouping. Revolver #1 places all of its rounds in a group the size of your fist at 15 yards. Revolver #2 produces groups the size of a bushel basket. I'm shooting FFF Goex and a .375 ball. I've tried altering powder charge, using a lube patch under the ball, and lubing over the ball. Right now, I'm using my own lube that is beeswax, Crisco, a tad of MM oil. Oh, I've checked the barrel. No defects in the rifling and the crown is good.

I'm convinced this must be something to do with my lube. Here's my question: Do you think if I switch to Preparation H it will shrink??

I'd go with the Preparation H.

Then I make sure that the barrel is snug on the offending gun.

In addition to slugging the barrels, slug the cylinder throats. If your cylinders are smaller diameter than the barrel, you'll have problems like you mentioned.

The cylinders are almost always smaller, and yet most work fine. Might be nice to know how much difference, though. How much lead is shaved off when seating the balls? Maybe some .380 balls would work better.

Assuming that you are shooting dead soft balls, the cylinder chambers can be several thousands smaller than the barrel and still be OK. The soft balls will "bump up" when they enter the barrel.

If you are shooting a "bullet alloy" that is somewhat harder then the relationship between the chambers and the barrel becomes more significant.

Oh me, pards. I'm embarrassed. It was a joke about using Preparation H as a lube. Sorry.

As for the pistols, I really am having problems but I'm simply trying to get them ready to convert to .41 Colt. I think my problem with revolver 2 will likely be fixed with a new barrel wedge. Tip of the hat to Noz. I don't know why I hadn't thought about that.

Archived