SASS Wire Forum

Florida: FHP misrepresenting the law to a citizen during a traffic stop

dannyd

From the Unified Sportsmen of Florida

In Case You Missed It

FHP misrepresenting the law to a citizen during a traffic stop

Below are two links to a video -- the same video -- one is on Facebook the other is on YouTube. I suspect it will go viral so I thought you should see it.

The video is of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper in the SW Florida area (between Sarasota and Naples) totally misrepresenting the law to a citizen. At minimum, this appears to be a situation of poor training.

Nothing in Florida law requires law-abiding people to carry their firearms unloaded -- much less with the magazines removed -- while in their vehicles, and certainly not concealed weapons license holders who are carrying on their persons. That would defeat the purpose of carrying for self-defense.

Links

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=657740267647871&set=vb.100002357118942&type=2&theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQ7kHSeOXI

The really sad thing is she is enforcing a law that doesnt exist in Fla!!! And she is a State Trooper??? Fla must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for LEO's.... I hope that guy got her name and reported her!!! She needs to go through the academy again.

Tascosa

The range that my wife worked at, and at which I worked as unpaid help, was used by many of the local departments for training and practice. Got to talk with a lot of officers. Was amazed at how many didn't know the laws on firearms.

Back in '04, when the federal AWB sunset, one was all excited and said he was going to buy a couple of ARs, etc. I had to tell him that unless he went through his department he was out of luck because CA has its own Roos/Roberti AWB. We chatted about it until his sergeant told him that, yes, indeed, CA would still have an AWB after Sept. 2004.

I could not even tell it was a Trooper in the video, so, possible hoax in my opinion.

Anyway, as a firearm owner and in particular, as one with a CCW, you must know the law and stand firm. Police are allowed to use subterfuge (lie) as a means to an end.

Just know talk is cheap on both sides until the hand cuffs come out and you are arrested. Keep your gun lawyer number handy. If law enforcement crosses the line to oppression, just like you would have gotten the shaft from a DA, you make sure you deliver it right on back in full legal force.

Archived