SASS Wire Forum

Info on Illinois residents that sell/transfer firearms to another Illinois resident

Back 40 #23910 L

Just in case you haven't heard.

This law actually went into effect Jan 1, 2014, but the Illinois State Police website was not set up at that time to verity FOID card numbers, THEY ARE NOW SET UP AND RUNNING.

If you are an Illinois resident and you want to sell/transfer a firearm to another Illinois resident, you are required by Illinois law to call/website the Illinois State Police. You must verity the Firearms Owners Identification Card, FOID CARD, number of the BUYER with ISP to verity that it is a valid number. They will then give you an approval number with an approval date and an approval expiration date. Which is 30 days. If the firearm transfer does not occur by the approval expiration date, you must inquire on the FOID number again and obtain a new approval number. The ISP website is www.isp.it.us or you can call at 217-524-3847

This is really great to see. I'm sure this will help deter a vast number of gun crimes in the great state of Chicago, opps, I mean Illinois.

MSB, as an Illinois resident, for me to own and keep a firearm, I must have an ISP issued FOID card. Kind of like a drivers license. By having this FOID card, this shows that I can legally own a firearm in the state of Illinois. As I said in the OP, this is for information to the Illinois residents. You can knock it until the cows come home, trust me, we have, but the info is to keep everyone informed.

As of now the IL state Police do not have records of what firearms IL residents own. The FOID card is issued once the necessary background checks are done and come back clear. These FOID cards must be current and shown upon demand when firearm or ammo is purchased.

As Back 40 mentioned, this new law has taken place Jan 1st and must be taken seriously by IL residents.Keep it in your billfold for reference.

Rev (who doesn't trust his govt)

The State Police have NO record of the firearms I keep, just that I have a FOID card and that I can legally own and purchase firearms and ammo. If I attend a gun show in Illinois I can't even handle a firearm unless I show the dealer my FOID and some gun shops do the same thing.

Yes, it does. Believe me MSB we hate it as much as anyone. Our State gun laws are excessive, but yet we have a one of the best shooting facilities in the country at Sparta, Il.

Just used the site this week and it worked for me. You need the buyers FOID and date of birth. Then the form you print out has their FOID and approval number. You as the seller fill out the rest, including the firearm make, model and serial number along with the buyer's name and address. You must then have to keep that form for 10 years. I saw nowhere on the website that asked anything about the firearm. If you followed the Illinois law prior to this you had to record the buyer's FOID and gun information and keep that for 10 years, this is just a pain in the a$$, but a good way to find out if the person is legally able to buy a gun. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Al

The State charges gun shop owners $2.00 for every callin on FOID cards. I wonder if we are also going to be charged this? The shop owner that I talked to yesterday gets a monthly bill from the State. He indicated that they (gun shop owners) are going to be VERY upset if the State doesn't charge individuals as well.

Archived