SASS Wire Forum

Win. '73 Ejection Adjustment

Guest Tommy Reb

Guest Tommy Reb

I've just acquired a new Mikuro Winchester 1873. I like it fine except that it ejects fired rounds 10 feet or more straight to the front. That would mean a lot of lost brass.

I have fiddled around with the angle of the top of the carrier to try to get it to eject more straight up but without much luck. Anybody have a hint concerning how to shape the carrier top (or something else) to accomplish this? Thanks.

TR

I had luck with filing the "curve" on the carrier. My 73 44-40 flips them onto my hat, handy for a lost brass match and a pencil rim hat....

Guest Tommy Reb

Hello Cheyenne. Could you be a little more specific about "filing the 'curve'"? Does that mean making the slot in the top of the carrier wider at the rear or?? Whatever you did sounds like what I need to do. Thanks much.

TR

I found it by accident, new rifle, filing everything I cud to try to smooth it out.

a very little at a time file the grove chamfer deeper, very little at a time.... better to get real good at taking it apart and putting it back together than to buy a new carrier, I got lucky and din't go too far.

least tha's what werked fur me!

I would not modify the carrier on the new Winchestrr- no where to go really. If you can' t live with it then buy the short stroke kit and replacement carrier from Pioneer Gunworks ..

My new Winchester throws em out front too. As others said I would caution against filing the carrier. I have a Uberti 73 that the timings pretty close on and when I smoothed the corners to load over the top that was enough to make the emptys hang on ejection, lucky I had a spare carrier.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Can't imagine cases being pulled off the extractor forward being good for the extractor life. I would check the timing for sure. My original 32-20 has a longer flat area on the carrier but the timing is right and it still tips the front of the case up and out of the grasp of the extractor. Straight into the air...

Archived