SASS Wire Forum

Hey Chickasaw Bill

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad news, Brady.

Looking at my little 2 weight fly reel last night. Something looked funny about the

handle. Then I noticed that the spool was bent right at the handle and a small gap appears between the frame and spool.

Somehow I have managed to bend the spool. Good news is that it is still fishable.

But I have no idea how I bent it. Maybe I should not have played that 40 salmon with a 2 wt reel?

Don't thunk the hammer is the answer. I will just fish it as it is. Not a big enough gap for the main fly line to leak out.

And the leader should be wet when I fish it.

Well, a replacement spool is about $80.00. But that would bring it up to code.

I was thinking on a new line and that would run from between $60.00 and $80 bucks.

I just ain't partial to spending $160.00 bucks on a reel that I seldom use and will not be using

until next spring. Think I will cogitate about this some.

The reel is a Hardy FLYWEIGHT.

Tiny thang.

The local shop is a dealer and I am certain he can order one for me,

I am going to call Hardy tomorrow morning and see if they can hep me.

BMC

them critters be EXPENCIVE :blink:

thinking the most expencive one I have is an Orvis Madison , got it on markdown :o

most of the others are cheap ones , Okumas and such

all they have to do is hold the line , my fingers is the tippet breaking drag system

ya AIN'T gotta clean em , if ya don't get em to the bank :)

CB :lol:

Well, me too, but I found that it suits my purpose, When I bought it, the price was not as steep. Call it an investment.

It has progressed very well. Very well, indeed.

HEY BMC

ya did NOT , warn me about some of the prices :blink:

take money , don't get ya ready for the STICKER SHOCK :o

Bass Pro and Cabela's had some on sale , Orvis also had some on clerance

there are lots of line , I know , NOTHING about listed

I saw one of them , had the SYLK (sp) on sale , I belive you have mentioned this line before

CB (gotta do maintance on what I got at them prices) :wacko:

SLYK is a throwback to the old braided silk fly lines that were used before they found vinyl.

If you are a purist and fish a bamboo fly rod and wear knickers when you fish, SLYK is

for you. :lol:

I do notice that they have changed the tapers on a lot of the lines, to be more distance

friendly. I have not bought a fly line in probably fifteen years so I have all old outdated

stuff. Just like me.

BMC

all of mine , are from the same era :lol: , the SYLK line kinda looks intresting , as there is a couple of bamboo rods floating around here

Don't think , I have ever relly used them much , afraid I will push em too hard and break em

I have PLENTY of other rods to fish with

CB

BMC

I am NOT going to make he attempt , to count the fly rod around here ,

that would make , MORE WOR* , for me to get em all cleaned up :o

Some where , I should have a 1920s Parienne (sp) in the box fly reel to set up for one of the bamboo rods

If , I did not give it to one of my brothers , have to look and see , I did find a OLD spun glass rod with a NO name crone reel on it

I am thinking , that is the first fly rod I bought , paid 50 cents for it

Called Hardy yesterday. They said send it back. So today I make a trip to the UPS Store.

Loaded the shooting head on my Zenith and am now ready for the steel head fun to begin.

BMC

ya think , they will teach it to CATCH fish ?

:huh:

A bit of a funny story , have a guy I used to fish with in OK , if a rod was not getting any bites , he would g,et another one out of the rod box , and let it think about its NON catching ways

same guy , if a hook failed to hold more than twice , he would cut it off , and throw it in the river

TRUE storys

Got my order from Allen's yesterday. Had a nice little double lidded fly box and some hooks.

I put all them woolie buggiers in it. Not I have them all in one box. :)

Just wish my arm would let me go fish them.

Archived