SASS Wire Forum

Brass, non-telescopic, range finders

Gofer Jurguns

I've purchased a brass range finder which is based upon a original for 1869. It does NOT use telescopes, lasers, or anything of the sort. Instead, you hold a string in your teeth, hold the range finder level at the end of the string, and move a slider to frame a target from top to bottom in the "window." The distances on the side are based upon an object six feet high.

These were used in the Civil and Indian Wars and indeed well into the early 20th Century. They are not, of course, as acccurate as a laser or even a split image optical job. They DO give a reasonably accurate estimation of the range to a target.

Range finders are banned in SASS events, but could something like this be used? Not, obviously, for a standard Stage, but for "Long Distance" shoots.

I am not going to say yes or no on this. Others will take care of that.

My personal opinion is that those who shoot at a given club range have the advantage of knowing their home range and therefore will know the distances of target placement. I think to better eliminate this home range advantage that ALL long rang matches should post the real target distances in the shooters book or at the firing line of the event so all can have the same distance information to set their sights for the event.

I'll be using a rifle shooting either black powder (muzzleloader), black powder cartridges, or smokeless loaded to SASS standards. If I shoot my .22 Kimber M82 I'll be using a totally different sort of arrangement. I don't "do" the long range smokeless-.338 Lapua-laser ranged-telescopic sight with integral computer sort of thing.

I've purchased a brass range finder which is based upon a original for 1869. It does NOT use telescopes, lasers, or anything of the sort. Instead, you hold a string in your teeth, hold the range finder level at the end of the string, and move a slider to frame a target from top to bottom in the "window." The distances on the side are based upon an object six feet high.

These were used in the Civil and Indian Wars and indeed well into the early 20th Century. They are not, of course, as acccurate as a laser or even a split image optical job. They DO give a reasonably accurate estimation of the range to a target.

Range finders are banned in SASS events, but could something like this be used?

Not, obviously, for a standard Stage, but for "Long Distance" shoots.

so...what exactly is the question again??

Range finders, or any other devices for calculating distances or sight adjustments are not allowed.

Their use constitutes a side match disqualification.

SHB p.17 - "BASIC RULES FOR THE LONG RANGE COMPETITIONS"

It's called a "stadia." Not unlike an artist using the handle of his brush to find the size of some feature he wants to put on his canvas. Military handbooks of the period suggested that soldiers mark a stick showing the height of men at certain known ranges, or finding some other method - I saw one that suggested holding up a fork sideways and using the tines.

One version:

stadiaweb.jpg

Another one - the flip side is marked for cav.

gear-2-3.jpg

The stadia wouldn't be legal. However, my front sight orfice turns into an 8 inch hole at 100, 16 inch at 200, 24 inch at 300, and so on. If you know the size of the target, this is useful information. It's not plus or minus a yard, but it gives you a fairly accurate estimate. You can do the same with a post and bead. Wonder if front sights will be banned? The folks that don't want you to know the yardage won't like this. I prefer shooting long range at clubs where range finders are welcome.

Archived