SASS Wire Forum

Haven't Seen These Shotshells for a While

Cat Brules

I check the local WalMart from time-to-time for 12-gauge #6 shotshells and today when I went in there for a couple small items, they surprisingly had a pretty nice variety of shotgun ammo.

I found some 2 3/4" 12-gauge Federal shells, with paper shotshells, with full brass bases. They are labeled "paper target loads" and carry 1 1/8oz. #8 lead shot, and with an "extra lite" charge. These are $11.00 a box, or about $0.44 each. They are very well made with a very tight roll and star crimp and brass base firmly incorporated with the paper shell. Very nice. I heard that paper shells were in limited production, but didn't know who manufactured them and sure haven't seen any in many years.

I haven't seen any paper shells like this even at the local retail sporting goods and gun stores, and even when ammo was very plentiful. Of course, I live in a relatively small, provencial, farm and ranch community, so that's not saying much, I suppose.

Interesting diversion though, I guess, but the Federal 1oz #6 game loads I buy knock down the squirrels for about half that price, so I didn't have a reason to buy any.

Anyone else see paper shell shotgun ammo regularly at your suppliers?

Never have really looked for them. I read an interesting article on them in a gun mag a few years ago. Since I work for a paper mill it got my attention. Federal is the only customer for the paper mill that makes their paper. If I worked at that mill I'd be pushin' management to expand the customer base just a bit!

There is something about the smell of the powder smoke from paper shells. Almost as satisfying as BP smoke.

I remember as a kid when I went goose hunting with my Dad, he used to have me scrounge around and gather as many paper empties i could find. He sliced up the paper with his knife and used them for a small fire to warm our hands. burned real good as they were impregneted with wax.

Ahhh......the good olde days! :wub:

For those who shoot clays regularly, particularly the longer Handicap distances, the paper Federal shells are a premium commodity.

They seem to substantially reduce the felt recoil for the higher power handicap loads most prefer from the 24-27 yard line. Some long time 27 yarders swear by them.

I've never seen them at Walmart - would pick up at least 4 boxes if I ever did.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived