SASS Wire Forum

Mail Hand Gun To Self ? FFL ?

Tater Head

Howdy Pards,

I' am getting ready to drive a moving truck from Kansas to Nevada with and for my daughter. I would like to take a pistol with me. Problem is I am leaving the truck and flying back. I don't want to leave it there if I don't have to.

Can I mail it to myself ? To my FFl ? Can I box and lock it and check it in with the airline ? Or should I just take a big stick and hope for the best. Lol!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tater

Hi Tater

Fly with it. You walk up to the counter and declare you have the handgun. Have no ammo anywhere in the airport. Just the gun. You will need a hard case to ship it in. Take and show the gun is empty and that the magazine is empty. Then shut the case and then the attendent will take the gun from you seal it and your good to go. My son does it all the time.

Deacon Stone

Pard,

Only an FFL dealer can send HANDGUNS through the mail. You may ship ANY gun that you can legally possess to yourself to a place where you can legally possess the gun through UPS of FedEx. They will require them to go overnight. They will sometimes make you jump through hoops if they don't know their own regs. You may ship LONGGUNS through The Post Office. NOT handguns.

You must open the package when you ship to yourself.

You can check a pistol AND ammo in your luggage for flying. Ammo has to be separate, only a few rounds, and in a box, like the original box. It's not that big a deal. Check the TSA website for the regs. Check also the ATF FAQ page for the shipping info.

Certainly you should be able to check the firearm in locked baggage at the airport. Special procedure at check-in, but no big deal. If you know the airline you will use for the return trip, (Southwest is gun friendly and I suggest them), call them and get their instructions before going. A direct flight is best.

This way you will get no surprises. Even Airline employees sometimes don't know the exact rules, so check them out closely.

RBK

I'm moving to Michigan, and just shipped all my handguns to myself, c/o my brother, via UPS. They arrived just fine and my brother picked them up with no trouble. The only hitch is that he cannot open the package, only I can do that. Apparently, as long as the package is unopened, they are not legally in his possession.

Check it and fly with it. Get yourself a case about the size of a brief case or one of the file storage size cases and check it.

I have used the Pelican line of cases with zero problems. The airline gorillas can not seem to bend or break it. The aluminum case I have made the trip via flying to South Dakota twice both times the bracket that holds the locking rod in place was bent. There are other brands besides a pelican case that will do the job and not cost you as much.

One of things that I do is after the TSA guy checks the weapons and I lock it back, I duct tape the locks in place.

Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate the help. I check it in at the airport. Deacon missed you at the long range at Prince of The Pistoleer's. Guess you were running and winning side matches.

Thanks Again,

Tater

Archived