SASS Wire Forum

Mag Tube Spring Length

spittoon otool

I got a stainless mag tube spring for my 20inch 73'. How close to the end of the tube should I cut it? Or How much of it should extend out the end? Thanks

Spittoon

Spittoon:

I don't know about 73's but I figured the mag tube spring would be like the Marlin.

For the Marlin, On a NEW spring, I would trim it about 12 coils longer than the mag tube itself. If your spring is anything like some I have bought (which are good springs), it will probably 'set' a couple coils during the first few months of being compressed.

For older springs, you could probably trim them 8-10 coils.

I've actually had one spring that worked great although it was only 4-5 coils longer than the mag tube.

Ya want enough spring force to push your last round on the carrier and still be able to overcome any slight 'crud' build up that might interfere with good feeding.

If you keep your mag tube clean and polished, you should be o.k.

Just my .02

..........Widder

I just put a new SS 92 spring in my 73.I cut it were there was 3" out side the tube.

I just put a new SS 92 spring in my 73.I cut it were there was 3" out side the tube.

Hey Pit Bull Tex.....congrats new Jedi!

Spittoon

They usually come in different lengths. If you bought the one for the 20" model you shouldn't have to cut anything.

This spring sticks out, we'll stuck out, at least 6 inches......it's a might shorter now.

In addition to pushing the last round in, the extra spring pressure is intended to keep the rounds in the magazine contacting each other and against the stop under recoil... R

Archived