SASS Wire Forum

NASCAR wimping out?

Utah Bob #35998

NASCAR plans to become more involved in race-sponsorship decisions by speedways in light of the continuing controversy surrounding the National Rifle Association's sponsorship of the Sprint Cup race Saturday at Texas Motor

Speedway.

Are they misreading their fan base?

Remember for all the God and Country good ole boy image NASCAR promotes, it's all about the money. And NASCAR has never liked controversy or adverse publicity. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Full story

I live near the Texas Motor Speedway....well 25 miles away, and did not think the NRA sponsorship was an issue...BUT..what if TMS President Eddie Gossage had accepted the sponsorship money from the Brady Anti Gun Group, or Diane Fienstien (sp?) or an antigun group??????? Gossage said he accepted the NRA sponsorship because it was all about money..would he also accept money from anti gun groups and risk alienating his fan base???

my NRA dues are used to work towards benifiting our rights, as given to us, in very important government documents

my union dues are used for political reasons beyond what is morally correct, they are used to (promote anti constitutional ideals)

I will PROUDLY, stand with the NRA on this one

NASCAR folks are a good base to help spread the word, and in some cases, maybe open some others eyes

In my opinion the NRA did not get any bang for their buck on this one.

A. The NASCAR fan base is predomiantly conservative anyway so no converts were made there

B. Had you been a fence sitting average Joe watching the race from your living troom, did you see any NRA commercials, any statements promoting the 2nd amendment, American gun owners or the NRA?

C. NASCAR after receiving who knows how much cash now says they're re-thing their spmnsorshiop giudelines. That tells me you won't see any mor NRA sponsored races.

I think the leadership of the NRA made a mistake. I hope they learn from this experience.

my NRA dues are used to work towards benifiting our rights, as given to us, in very important government documents

my union dues are used for political reasons beyond what is morally correct, they are used to (promote anti constitutional ideals)

I will PROUDLY, stand with the NRA on this one

NASCAR folks are a good base to help spread the word, and in some cases, maybe open their eyes

Yup...nothing wrong with getting the base fired up...especially that base that resides in a blue state to remind it's representatives who they represent.

GG

Archived