SASS Wire Forum

2 questions about Western 3 gun and target distance

Charlie Whiskers

Ok....need your answers and opinions on 2 things.

1: Where do I look to find the rules,regs,and set ups for Western 3 gun? Our club is thinking about having one or two shoots this year doing that.

2:Not related to the 3 gun question,but probably applies there too.SASS handbook lists target recommended distances at 7-10 yds for pistol,13-50 yds for rifle using minimum 16x16 target size.My question and your opinion regarding;if the targets such as on a knockdown plate rack are 8inch or 10 inch circles,should the shooting position be moved forward to 1/2 the distance?For instance, 7yds to 4 or 5 yds and 13 yds to 7 or 8 yds?

O.SASS handbook lists target recommended distances at 7-10 yds for pistol,13-50 yds for rifle using minimum 16x16 target size.My question and your opinion regarding;if the targets such as on a knockdown plate rack are 8inch or 10 inch circles,should the shooting position be moved forward to 1/2 the distance?For instance, 7yds to 4 or 5 yds and 13 yds to 7 or 8 yds?

"Should" - by SASS guidelines or by what you think is right? SASS guidelines do not address smaller than recommended minimum targets. And, it's only a guideline. But, the difficulty if getting a knockdown to go down is harder than even the same size regular target, because low hits and edge hits won't knock it over. How much of the target is "wasted" depends upon how heavy it is set.

So, lots of variables. I would say the distance of the target ought to decrease roughly proportional to the largest dimension change. And a circle is harder to hit than the same width square! Without getting the calculus book out, if you are shooting 8" targets rather than 16", yeah, bring them in to about half the distance.

Bigger targets are more fun and faster, though, And that is what the audience likes - more fun! If you use a lot of smaller targets to keep down cost, the shooters just will not enjoy it as much.

Good luck, GJ

Ok....need your answers and opinions on 2 things.

1: Where do I look to find the rules,regs,and set ups for Western 3 gun? Our club is thinking about having one or two shoots this year doing that.

2:Not related to the 3 gun question,but probably applies there too.SASS handbook lists target recommended distances at 7-10 yds for pistol,13-50 yds for rifle using minimum 16x16 target size.My question and your opinion regarding;if the targets such as on a knockdown plate rack are 8inch or 10 inch circles,should the shooting position be moved forward to 1/2 the distance?For instance, 7yds to 4 or 5 yds and 13 yds to 7 or 8 yds?

You do of course understand that SASS has no rules regarding size and distance...Do what works for your guests.

You do of course understand that SASS has no rules regarding size and distance...Do what works for your guests.

Yes I do understand that.Just recommended target size minimums and distances.I'm one that likes bigger and closer targets as do what seems like the majority of current CAS shooters.We have quite a few club members that still have the mindset of making each stage a long distance shoot at bottle cap size targets.I've been trying to tell them that CAS has gone a different direction for the most part with bigger targets at close or "reasonable" distances.That's why I posted this question to get opinions on what all of YOU as CAS shooters think.

Yes I do understand that.Just recommended target size minimums and distances.I'm one that likes bigger and closer targets as do what seems like the majority of current CAS shooters.We have quite a few club members that still have the mindset of making each stage a long distance shoot at bottle cap size targets.I've been trying to tell them that CAS has gone a different direction for the most part with bigger targets at close or "reasonable" distances.That's why I posted this question to get opinions on what all of YOU as a CAS shooters think.

If that's the case, what's the point of your original post? Just put the dang smaller targets at a distance that's hit-able by a so-so shooter...zero need to quote the "Recommended" distances.

Phantom

If that's the case, what's the point of your original post? Just put the dang smaller targets at a distance that's hit-able by a so-so shooter...zero need to quote the "Recommended" distances.

Phantom

It (recommended distances) was used as a reference point.That's why I asked for opinions of should or do you think the shooting position be moved to appx half the distance?Next time I talk with the RM it would be nice to have a concensus of what other people think,not necessarily what those few in my club think.

Archived