SASS Wire Forum

Rifles at my local gun shop

Rancho Roy

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by the GUN ROOM on Rt9 in Worchester, MA. I was amazed at the selection of "vintage" firearms. Both antique and reproductions.

First of all, right on the floor, mixed in with all the other firearms were two Winchester 1 of 1000 limited edition rifles. A 25-20, ser #8 and a 38-40 ser# 24.......Either one for just a few dollars over $1000! Talk about a deal! These calibers ate extremely rare and I've seen them going for upwards of $1500.

He had a number of old Winchesters and Marlins. An 1889 Marlin in 38-40 with a very good bore and an original Beech front sight for $750. Looks like the magazine tube had been replaced, but if I didn't already have one, I would have bought it in a minute!

Two other Winchester 1892 in 38-40.......$2000 and $3300.....excellent examples.

He bought out a bunch of AWA pump copies of the Colt Lightning. 45LC, 38-40, 44-40, 38Spl.......$975 each, but I think this is negotiable as he seemed teady to move them.

http://www.awaguns.com/PDFs/Cat02CCHLinghtning.pdf

They had a "real" Colt Lightning in 38-40 for $3300

A bunch of Taurus/Rossi lever actions in Case Colored and Brass receivers.

A reblued original 1873 in 44-40 for $1000

A beautiful original Spencer rifle for $2700

And a whole bunch of old Colt SAA revolvers.

A great place to spend a few minutes and they had no issue with you handling anything there.

Howdy:

So THAT is where all the rifles go....I would have gone insane looking at all of those and not being able to afford the hammers on one of them. But it would have made material for a million wonderful dreams. Thanks for sharing this with us.

STL Suomi

And then the alarm clock went off, and Rancho Roy B woke up from the greatest dream he ever had...

And then the alarm clock went off, and Rancho Roy B woke up from the greatest dream he ever had...

I my dreams guns are all free!:lol:/>

Waimea

:FlagAm:/>

No...The BEST dream is being locked in Collectors Gun Shop in Houston!!!!! I travel for business and I'm in three or four gun shops in a week. I've been in every Cabelas in the USA and many of them over a dozen times. I love gun stores.......but the shops like Collectors are a "two piece of duck tape store..........."........;)/>

I'm in Minneapolis next week and I'll take a ride down to Ahlman's...........Also a two piece of duck tape store..............

Guns? Sure there are still guns out there for sale. Local Wal-Mart has plenty for sale. All modern rifles and a few shotguns of coarse. BUT No ammo for anything you buy. Local store had 204, 7mag, 30-06 and 270. That was it. Oh, and a small amount of 12Ga and 20Ga.

Howdy

I live a bit north of Boston. I have heard of the Gun Room, but I have never been there. I think it is actually in Shrewsbury, not Worcester. I did stop by their table at a gun show in Springfield a few years ago and they were not very friendly.

But something does not sound quite right in your descriptions.

First of all, right on the floor, mixed in with all the other firearms were two Winchester 1 of 1000 limited edition rifles. A 25-20, ser #8 and a 38-40 ser# 24.......Either one for just a few dollars over $1000! Talk about a deal! These calibers ate extremely rare and I've seen them going for upwards of $1500.

Which model are we talking about, 1873 or 1892? I'm pretty sure One of One Thousand was a marketing scheme for the 1873 model, not the 1892 model. But the 1873 model was never chambered for 25-20. 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 and 22 rimfire. Not 25-20, at least not according to The Winchester Handbook, by George Madis. The '92 on the other hand was chambered for 25-20, but there was no One of One Thousand program for that model. In either case, 25-20 and 38-40 are not 'extremely rare' calibers. Production numbers for the Model 1873 were 566,487 made in 44-40, 24,826 made in 38-40 (I have one of these, it can't be that rare), 109,558 chambered for 32-20, and 19,738 chambered for 22 rimfire. The numbers for the Model 1892 are 598,680 chambered for 44-40, 109,714 chambered for 38-40, 127,511 chambered for 32-20 and 168,770 chambered for 25-20. None of these are particularly rare. The One of One Thousand models had that stamped on the barrel near the frame, sometimes in digits and sometimes spelled out. Did you see that stamped on the barrels? In any case, the One of One Thousand models are in high demand by collectors and I find it a little bit difficult to believe they would be selling for $1000. They usually go for $100,000 or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavyFgVAArM

Now I believe Uberti was marketing a '73 they were calling One of One Thousand a year or two ago, but they were made by Uberti, not Winchester. Could that be what you saw? If they are saying they have real One of One Thousand Winchesters that they are selling for $1000, well you know what they say about buyer beware.

But still, next time I have a few hours to spare I might take a drive out to Shrewsbury just to see what they have.

Archived