SASS Wire Forum

Question about the 73 and mag capacity on the 38 sp

Flush Draw

Im going to buy a 73 and I have question for you fellows with the Sporting Short Deluxe with the 20" barrel. I shoot 38sp, now the specs for this rifle says it will hold 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and both Cimarron and Taylors have the same spec. I want to be able to hold at least 12 in the mag. I thought I would probably have to get the 24", however a couple pards at our club have the 20" and they can get 12+ in their 73's. Id like to get the Cimarron with the 24" but they are 4-6 months out. The 20" deluxe is available now. You pards with the 20" that shoot 38s, how many can you hold in your 73 mag?

Gonna depend upon the cartridge overall length. If you are at about 1.45" OAL with .38 specials that you shoot, then 11 will almost always fit. VERY rarely does a stage call for more than 10 rifle, and if it does, it usually requires the cartridges over 10 to be reloads. So, if you are buying it because you can get 12 in for a SASS stage, you will be prevented from taking advantage of that on almost all occasions.

The 24" rifle is unwieldy for many shooters. That is why the 20" gun is easily available and not the 24". Not many folks are tall enough to use it quickly in our game.

Good luck, GJ

sometimes our side matches require 12 rds. It is okay to load 12 before the clock starts a lot of the time at our club. My marlin will hold 11 but I still have to load on the clock and I aint gotta chance. Others have the same problem I know, but I can fix it! Buy a 73

My COL is 1.495". My 20" Codymatic is only 1.5" shorter (OAL) than my 24" Marlin. I can easily load 12 in the '73, almost get in 13. Both .38 sp.

I've loaded 11, never tried 12. If they were "short" rounds would probably work, but my 73 wont handle short rounds very well. Usually jams.

Im going to buy a 73 and I have question for you fellows with the Sporting Short Deluxe with the 20" barrel. I shoot 38sp, now the specs for this rifle says it will hold 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and both Cimarron and Taylors have the same spec. I want to be able to hold at least 12 in the mag. I thought I would probably have to get the 24", however a couple pards at our club have the 20" and they can get 12+ in their 73's. Id like to get the Cimarron with the 24" but they are 4-6 months out. The 20" deluxe is available now. You pards with the 20" that shoot 38s, how many can you hold in your 73 mag?

Hi Flush Draw, I had an 18 inch 73 in .38 and it would hold ten tops, so a 20 inch tube should hold eleven easy. As far as barrel lenght I have a 20 inch deluxe 73 in .45 and I like it much better then my 24" 73. The deluxe with the pistol grip checkered stock (I think that's what they're called)is real nice. Check mine out Saturday.

Spittoon

Short Term Emory, you were much luckier than me. Since we only live 14 miles apart, I know your weather. It started with a flash flood here, I had just loaded all my guns in the boat. Then that same nasty tornado that hit your place hit here. I lost ALL my guns to the flood and tornado. Sure am lucky, didn't hurt the home place. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Flush Draw, keep me informed on the 73.

Archived