SASS Wire Forum

Tom Horn Category

irish ike, SASS #43615

Not suggesting yet another new category. Even though we have just about every combination of guns, dress, shooting style and powder you can imagine maybe every now and then you throw in something completely different.

I belong to a club in Northern Nevada, ROOP County. We recently had our annual match which has about 75 shooters show up.

This year they threw in a Tom Horn Category. Rifle and pistol claibers must be .40 caliber and bigger. Smokeless or BP could be used, but no one shot smokeless. Shotgun was a SXS or an 87 Lever. The rifle though was a single shot big bore or lever big bore. 8 stages had the depth for big bore, the other 4 were regular cowboy rifles. Big Bore lever guns usually had to shoot 2 more rounds than the single shots.

Anyway we had 15 shooters in the category. The biggest category of the event. The worst part about the event is telling everyone that they only got to shoot 8 stages with Big Bore.It was a big hit and the people who didn't sign up for it are now looking forward to next year.

And surprisingly none of the Tom Horn shooters won the overall. They did win the best fun group award though.

Ike

Awesome!

Roy

Not suggesting yet another new category. Even though we have just about every combination of guns, dress, shooting style and powder you can imagine maybe every now and then you throw in something completely different.

I belong to a club in Northern Nevada, ROOP County. We recently had our annual match which has about 75 shooters show up.

This year they threw in a Tom Horn Category. Rifle and pistol claibers must be .40 caliber and bigger. Smokeless or BP could be used, but no one shot smokeless. Shotgun was a SXS or an 87 Lever. The rifle though was a single shot big bore or lever big bore. 8 stages had the depth for big bore, the other 4 were regular cowboy rifles. Big Bore lever guns usually had to shoot 2 more rounds than the single shots.

Anyway we had 15 shooters in the category. The biggest category of the event. The worst part about the event is telling everyone that they only got to shoot 8 stages with Big Bore.It was a big hit and the people who didn't sign up for it are now looking forward to next year.

And surprisingly none of the Tom Horn shooters won the overall. They did win the best fun group award though.

Ike

Ike,

Was the "big Bore" rifle requirement for a rifle caliber (38-55, 40-65, 45-70, etc), as I suspect or pistol caliber (38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, etc)? If so, this is similar to the MOnte Walsh category, but with the mixed option of single shot or lever with different target counts.

Sounds like great fun, either way! :)

Harvey

Ike,

Was the "big Bore" rifle requirement for a rifle caliber (38-55, 40-65, 45-70, etc), as I suspect or pistol caliber (38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, etc)? If so, this is similar to the MOnte Walsh category, but with the mixed option of single shot or lever with different target counts.

Sounds like great fun, either way! :)

Harvey

You are right on the "rifle" calibers. Pistol caliber was used on the bays that did not have enough distance for the big bores and we didn't want to distroy some steel. Most don't download their rounds for the match. Thye are after the big boom and clang.

Ike

Howdy!

The idea of using a rifle-caliber rifle along with pistols and shotgun has been arounbd quite awhile. It has different names depending on where you are; I've also seen it listed as "Monte Walsh" out here, and "Cody-Dixon" in Texas. They're all variations on the same theme. I've shot it and enjoyed it (used a Marlin in 38-55 with BP!)

Hi Ike,

We allow folks to shoot Tom Horn (-The Tom Horn category allows rifle-caliber lever action rifles) at The Outlaws. Come on over!

At Range War in Chabot Park, they had the "Real Man" and "Real Man Cigar" categories. Sometimes, it was painful to watch. Poor Captain Buffalo was so worn out by the last stage, shooting "Real Man Cigar," that I think he only hit five or six out of 28 rifle. BTW, you had to keep the cigar lit throughout the stage or get a P.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived