SASS Wire Forum

Butch Cassidy's Colt up for auction

This just in -

In October 1899, Cassidy turned in his trusted Colt SAA .45 to Sheriff Parley P. Christison in good faith to appeal to the authorities for amnesty. The extraordinary firearm will be offered at auction to the highest bidder on Sept. 30 at California Auctioneers in Ventura, Calif. The Colt was featured in a number of magazines in years past, including Gun Journal, Guns, and Guns and the Gunfighters (published by Guns & Ammo) with featured articles about how Cassidy “hid his secret treasure inside the black grips of his trusty colt.”

“We’ve come to a time when we are two generations away from the folks who knew Cassidy. Fortunately, former owner E. Dixon Larson launched a pilgrimage from 1967-1970 documenting and interviewing people who knew Cassidy and remembered this Colt,” said auctioneer Jewels Eubanks.

One of those people was Lula Parker Betenson, Cassidy’s younger sister, who can be seen holding the Colt in her book “Butch Cassidy, My Brother.” Pages 159-160 verify the serial number 158402. A number of photographs and original letters between Larson and Betenson are offered with the Colt in addition to over a hundred pages of research and verification documents.

http://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader-news/butch-cassidys-amnesty-colt-emerges-for-auction?et_mid=579769&rid=3365091

Forty, slide over there and put in a bid of a hunnert and eighteen dollars. I'll make it worth your while.

I'm feelin lucky.

Well Bob, it's Fryday, just got some gold dust so I tank I will up da bid to $200.01.

I'm feelin' a bit lucky meownself !

Archived