SASS Wire Forum

1866 Uberti

Ace Hanlon

I have a 1866 Uberti rifle with a 24" barrel. It has the stock front and rear sights which I would like to remove and replace with a Marbles sight. My problem is the sights are so tight I cannot get them to move. I have been trying to remove from left to right as you are looking down the barrel. Is this correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Ace

I have a 1866 Uberti rifle with a 24" barrel. It has the stock front and rear sights which I would like to remove and replace with a Marbles sight. My problem is the sights are so tight I cannot get them to move. I have been trying to remove from left to right as you are looking down the barrel. Is this correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Ace

If you're talking about stock front sight, have you tried turning the screw which is located on the right side of the sight. Sometimes crud build up in there that you think there's no screw in there. Clean it with a toothbrush to loosen crud and you will see a little itty bitty screw.

Unscrew it and sight will just slide off easy. Hope this help.

I.M. Crossdraw

PS: as far as the rear sight, rust may have build up and hard to tap out. Use PB Blaster (penetrating catalyst), let it soak for at least 15 minutes, tap out from left to right. Good luck.

I.M. Crossdraw

If you're talking about stock front sight, have you tried turning the screw which is located on the right side of the sight. Sometimes crud build up in there that you think there's no screw in there. Clean it with a toothbrush to loosen crud and you will see a little itty bitty screw.

Unscrew it and sight will just slide off easy. Hope this help.

I.M. Crossdraw

PS: as far as the rear sight, rust may have build up and hard to tap out. Use PB Blaster (penetrating catalyst), let it soak for at least 15 minutes, tap out from left to right. Good luck.

I.M. Crossdraw

Yes I removed the little screw on the front sight and used a brass punch and hammer but it would not move at all.

Okay, I'm sure we're just thinking in different terms, but to me "looking down the barrel" would mean the gun is pointed at me. If so, you're trying to move it in the wrong direction. I can see how "looking down the barrel" might also mean the gun is pointed away from you as one might "look down the barrel" of a shotgun to aim it. If so, you're whacking it in the right direction. "Right out" and "left in."

Archived