SASS Wire Forum

ruger old army

Royal Flush Chuck

So why are we in a dither over fixed vs. adjustable sights, when stainless steel is OK?

Sigh… If we're going to drift off of the subject, then we ask, "Why are 20th century clothing items allowed?" The answer to both stainless and Levi's with belt loops or rubber soled boots is because they're allowed by the rules. SASS is a fantasy sport, not reenacting. An argument can be made that adjustable sights have an advantage over fixed sights, but stainless has no competitive advantage over other finishes. In practice it looks a lot like "authentic" nickel. The only reason to ban stainless would be that the Brady organization had taken over SASS and wanted to drive it out of business as part of their attack on the gun culture.

I suppose ROA shooters could look at the positive side and feel fortunate that ROA's can be used in SASS sanctioned events at all. Take a look at NCOWS rules by comparison. NADA to ROA's with any sight configuration or construction material.

NCOWS is not a model we want to adopt. I haven't kept up with their size since I stopped sending them dues money, primarily because they banned every gun I use, but they're a tiny organization. Winter Range is probably bigger than their active membership. If this isn't the case I'm sire someone will quote their actual numbers.

If your goal is to kill Frontiersman altogether, ban all ROAs and require hammered doubles and Henry's and 66's only. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just looked at the scores of Guns of Aug.

174 total shooters for Regional. Two shot in Frontiersman Category. Geeeeeeeeeee was that enough for a Category? If so how proud do you think it makes those guys feel winning a buckle? Yea first was won by a world champ and a very GOOD guy Been in that situation and want to hang my head when I accept the Prize. Have also been known not to accept.

So lets don't do a thing to help Frontiersman grow. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WJ

So over the weekend I went out an bought a Pietta 1858 Army (yup, stainless steel), with a starter kit. Yesterday I went to an outdoor range and shot it.

What a blast!!! Smoke and soot all over the place, grease mixed with soot all over my hands not to mention the gun and everything I touched. I loved trying to get the itty bitty caps on the tiny nipples with grease on my hands. My wife looking at me like I lost my mind, although she did like to shoot the gun. I loved it. With practice on technique I'm sure things won't be so messy in the future. With all that, not one misfire, and I hit what I was shooting at.

We also had some blackpowder shotgun shells. They were equally impressive.

Back home, in five minutes the gun was fully disassembeled, soaked in soapy water for a short time, and put back together in ten minutes. And it worked. WOW!

Next month is my first CAS shoot. So when I check in, I'll tell the clerk what and how I want to shoot and ask the clerk what category I can shoot in, and whatever he says is fine. I joined SASS, and will click my heels, salute, follow all the SASS rules and have fun.

I've never seen or handled a ROA, with or without sights, but the Pietta is a pretty nice gun.

NCOWS is not a model we want to adopt. I haven't kept up with their size since I stopped sending them dues money, primarily because they banned every gun I use, but they're a tiny organization. Winter Range is probably bigger than their active membership. If this isn't the case I'm sire someone will quote their actual numbers.

If your goal is to kill Frontiersman altogether, ban all ROAs and require hammered doubles and Henry's and 66's only. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Just to be clear Captain,

I am perfectly fine with current SASS categories and rules. I am aware of and in total agreement with your statements concerning the differences between NCOWS and SASS. I am also quite happy that any ROA configuration is allowed to be shot in one category or another within SASS rules (which was my intent in offering the comparison between SASS to NCOWS)and given the choice between it and any other C&B revolver, I'd be all in with the Ruger. Of course I'd be a shootin' in age based categories for at least a couple of reasons. One of which you might be able to guess....only have access to Adj. sight ROA's. Second, I prefer 97's to any other SG right now.

I do like Frontiersman category as it is but it isn't for me at this time and don't know the answer to helping it grow.

Glad to hear you had so much fun Brooklyn Slim and congrats on your new Pietta!!

BS, we don't have any "clerks" in CAS, just hard-working volunteers. I strongly advise you not to refer to them as clerks when you get there. It won't go over good, no sense startin' out on the wrong foot.

Don't mean to offend anyone! So what is the correct term for the volunteer that handles the signup/registrations for the event, and enters the results for the stages?

:lol:! Who knows....don't think there is a specific title that I've been informed of. Registrar maybe...or "Hard-Working Volunteer"? I don't think I'd be worrying about that too much. I suppose you could just call em by their alias....or you could just call em Pard till ya know their alias. :rolleyes::lol:

Anyways....Welcome Brooklyn Slim!!!

Archived