SASS Wire Forum

which BP substitute?

Hogleg Hunter

APP wins. At least short term. The only other thing that I could find was pyrodex but I never really liked it. Powderinc was out of Goex 3f until September so I will order some then. Gives me some time to find the bullets I need at a price that I can live with.

Springfield Slim has supplied my big lube bullets for a few years now, highly recommend him as a supplier. I use Goex, but used Pinnacle for awhile to use up an overabundance of smokeless bullets I had on hand.

Speaking of which, I see Pinnacle listed at Powderinc again. Is it back in production? Couldn't tell for sure on the web site, maybe I missed the memo. They do have it in 3f again though.

There's not many choices. Buy a can of each and try them for yourself.

+1 and if you don't like the product just load it in SG shells and burn it up. The subs have properties, some positive and some negative. Some meter well and some don't. Some stink and some don't. They vary in the amount of smoke produced. Some leave corrosive residue and some don't. Some are easily available and some are not. Some like bullets with regular lube and one does not. They vary in the degree they are hydroscopic and need special care. Shooters experiment and find the powder(s) that work best for them.

Goex and regular smokeless bullets works great for me. I just run a wet patch down the rifle barrel on every stage. Never fails.

+1 I've shot nothing but real black for nearly 3 years now and have never used anything but regular smokeless lubed bullets. And there's lotsa folks out there doin the same. I simply pull a bore snake thru the rifle after each stage, don't do a thing to the pistolas. EZ!

Crossed over to the dark side 3 months or so ago & have tried APP, Goex & Pyrodex in cartridges, shotgun rounds & c/b guns. I haven't tried 777 so I can't comment on it.

Goex is the most fun to shoot but you have to use natural lube on your bullets. Removing lube then pan lubing isn't difficult & kind of fun, but can be a bit tedious. The wax (paraffin/beeswax/crisco) gets all over & can gum up your seating & crimping dies. I use Goex exclusively in my 1860 Army revolvers because it's not hygroscopic til it burns, so it won't hurt the chambers to keep them loaded for a few days.

APP works great with regular smokeless lube, makes really white smoke but leaves something to be desired. It also leaves a really odd looking white residue. I have been using it for cartridge loads lately because it works well with smokeless bullet lube.

Pyrodex is OK, but definitely third choice for pistol/rifle cartridges. I use Pyrodex RS for shotgun rounds only now. Knowing that it is hygroscopic both before & after it burns, I don't put it in the c/b guns.

If I had to choose one, it would be Goex, but that's just my opinion...& we all know what opinions are like.

Holler

SEE MY PREVIOUS POST :)

+1 I've shot nothing but real black for nearly 3 years now and have never used anything but regular smokeless lubed bullets. And there's lotsa folks out there doin the same. I simply pull a bore snake thru the rifle after each stage, don't do a thing to the pistolas. EZ!

Yep here is another. You saw the guns perform at CAC.

Sat. shot a 6 stage match 45 Colt full of 3F Goex and 200 gr. boooolet. ROAs with conversion cylinders. Nooooo Problem.

Get home and get out the Windex and Ballistol. In the 357 73 and 44-40 Henry I use 777

Archived