SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Ranch Hand

Bad Hand

I had the opportunity to handle a Rossi "Ranch Hand" yesterday. I understand that since it was never a rifle, rather built and sold as a pistol, its 12" barrel is legal. As I was looking at it, I was wondering If you could replace the stock with a longer one. I realize that by placing a regular rifle stock on it, it becomes a SBR and requires ATF approval. The question in my mind is where the breaking point is, as far as the stock length. Anything longer than the factory, 1", 2" etc.?

I had the opportunity to handle a Rossi "Ranch Hand" yesterday. I understand that since it was never a rifle, rather built and sold as a pistol, its 12" barrel is legal. As I was looking at it, I was wondering If you could replace the stock with a longer one. I realize that by placing a regular rifle stock on it, it becomes a SBR and requires ATF approval. The question in my mind is where the breaking point is, as far as the stock length. Anything longer than the factory, 1", 2" etc.?

Since this gun came on the market people contact me all the time to see if I have shoulder stocks for them. What I tell them is unless you are in Canada it's not allowed. Canadians can even own silencers, go figure. :angry:

The Rossi Ranch Hand/Maresleg is marginally within the ATF's definition of a handgun.

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, “a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…” Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as:

… a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (B) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

What they are saying is if you add a shoulder stock it is no longer a handgun. You have made it into an unregistered “AOW”

If you go to that link and read down you will see that the ATF doesn't even allow the addition of a vertical grip to be added to any hand gun unless it’s properly registered. It's no longer desighned to be shot with one hand.

I made this one for an article in the Guns of the Old West magazine.But it was shortened even more to be more like the original Maresleg.

Rossi Ranch Hand/Maresleg for GOW

A conversation overheard by two inmates in a Federal Pen

Inmate #1 - I was part of the Ponzi scheme with Bernie.....I got 10 years. What are you in for?

Inmate #2 - I got 25 years for adding an inch to my Ranch Hand

Inmate #1 - You SOB.....don't talk to me for the next 10 years

Moral of the story, Buy a rifle....Ranch Hands serve no purpose unless your name is Josh Randall

Wyatt

Au contraire, big Wyatt my Ranch Hand serves a very good purpose: it gives me great pleasure to play with it and it makes a passable truck gun.

BH since a rifle must be 26" overall I would think a handgun could be anything up to 25 and 15/16".

Just a WAG, don't quote me -- I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV.

You see the quandary, I'm asking if someone could make a pistol larger by enlarging the current factory grip. Same shape, just longer. How much bigger (longer) can it be before it morphs into a SBR?

You see the quandary, I'm asking if someone could make a pistol larger by enlarging the current factory grip. Same shape, just longer. How much bigger (longer) can it be before it morphs into a SBR?

You are looking for a hard rule. The ATF doesn't deal in hard rules. They deal in interpretations of broad rules.

If you have a stock on that handgun that allows you to easily fire it from your shoulder how do you think they are going to rule? :blink:

Moral of the story, Buy a rifle....Ranch Hands serve no purpose unless your name is Josh Randall

Wyatt

I beg to disagree. The Ranch Hand comes standard with tons of style points. I and a few others have acquired some with the intent of shooting them at a local monthly match or two. Will they be fast? Absolutely not. Will they be fun? Without a doubt. I brought mine to a local shoot and within a few minutes sold three more. They have a certain "cool factor".

I have sold a few of them myself when they first came out. There is one on the shop wall right now. Been there all year. When someone asks about it we talk about Wanted Dead or Alive, Steve McQueen and how cool the show was. They ask if they can put a stock on it. Can you get me a leather holster for it for under $50.

Thanks to Lone Dog next time I'll suggest using it as a tactical truck handgun....that is near impossible to cycle with one hand

IROT they are cool, they do have style and they are fun..........I guess I just don't see a need

Wyatt

Archived