SASS Wire Forum

Full Size Buffalo Steel Target

This past week end I found time to take the full size buffalo target over to the homestead in north central Montana and get it set up.

I've written about this before, I have targets set up down the coolie at ranges from 370 to 1000 yards.

We will have our annual shoot the last weekend of September.

After getting it set up I had a brief opportunity to get a few shots off at it and hit it twice.

Here's a link to one picture.

Buffalo Target

By the way, my assistant in the picture is 5 year old Gabrielle Thorsen who thinks pooping in a post hole in the ground is a "really neat" thing to do!

She even wanted her picture taken.

Sage Creek Gus

Gus,I know you're determined,but how did you get that thing hung up there?

I'm assuming you mean "up on the stand" rather than "up to the homestead".

I had it on a flatbed trailer and after putting the two posts in the ground I backed the trailer between them then used a come along attached to some brackets I had welded to the back of the target to raise one side at a time until I could attach the hanging chains. I had to raise each side two or three times before it was up where I wanted it.

Gabrielle's dad helped a lot while she stayed out of the way.

SCG

How thick is that, Gus? I'm thinking one of those on my own range would be GREAT! Anything you'd do different now that you've used it a bit?

How thick is that, Gus? I'm thinking one of those on my own range would be GREAT! Anything you'd do different now that you've used it a bit?

It's 3/8 thick. I don't know what kind of steel as it was given to me. It has been shot quite a bit and shows no denting of any kind.

I believe it was only shot with lead bullets at about 600 to 700 yards.

SCG

I've got a 42" round hanging on my 500 yard line that is only 5/16", and it's been just fine over the years getting whacked with 530 grain .45-70 BP rounds.

Archived