SASS Wire Forum

How do you determine fair market value?

Sagerider

Since the purchase of an older, really older, rifle will have no negative effect on my already slow shooting times, I have been looking at original Winchester 73's for some time. I concern is with trying to find a fair standard for condition and for fair market value. I realize some calibers are less available than others and rifles are more available than carbines. I know some sellers like Cherrys have a fair reputation for honest value but have not seen anything there for some time. So I'm asking you pards, which sellers have you come to trust for accurate descriptions and honest prices? I'm looking for an honest shooter in a 24 inch barrel. I know that good looks command good prices. I know that my desire for a 38-40 or 44 -40 will also have costs. The best news in my search is that my wife wants a new set of golf clubs so I can place a bit of cash in the pot. Where would you suggest I look? Thanks for the advice. Sagerider

The more information you gather, the better off you are. Check with gunsamerica, gunsinternational, gunbroker, auction arms and other sites that sell them. Track condition, caliber, model, special features, get a copy of Flaydermans and the blue book and take your time.

Listen to ol' Joe LaFives, pardner.

He knows whereof he speaks.

Patience. You'll find what you are lookin' for.

And...don't forget to place an ad in the SASS Classifieds detailin' exactly what you are lookin' for. No better sellers can be found on the planet than in that pack of rascals who sell there :P Chances are pretty good that some SASS pard has just what you are seekin'.

The Bue Book of Gun Values will give what I've come to consider as a moderately high asking price. See what it says, then scale your expectations accordingly. Also, be sure to check the *completed* auctions at the various web sites.

BTW, I've also come to realize that, within 48 hours of paying more than I should have for something that was impossible to find, three of them will show up here, for less.

+1 for Blue Book of Gun Values

Howdy,

Fair advice above.

One thing is you might consider: a carbine in good original condition.

I would avoid a reblue and I would avoid a gun so nice I wouldnt want to shoot it.

If you carry a bullet(not a loaded round) along to gunshows, the bullet can be

used as a wear gauge to determine how worn the muzzle has become.

Many older guns have been ruined by cleaning rods leaned against the muzzle.

The rods grind out the barrel off center and the resulting oval is probably

going to give poor accuracy.

I would never try to talk anyone out of buying an original.

BUT the reproductions are really pretty accurate and available in current

chamberings. The reproductions are made of alloys undreamed of in the 1800s.

Your money, your choice, remember to have fun.

Best

CR

"Fair Market Value" is what ever someone will buy it for!!!

Diamonds, guns, your grandmother's prized gold ring, your own beloved 1963 Corvette convertible...Jack Houston has it EXACTLY right: "Fair Value" is what your intended buyer is willing to pay. Don't like that? Look for another buyer...or don't sell.

All that said, I guess there are ways to calculate a "range of values" for anything in similar condition and of similar provenance. Good luck!

Howdy,

I get a real kick out of the 'what the buyer will give and the seller will take'

its right up there with 'lost items are always found in the last place you look' line.

And my all time favorite 'the sooner you start the sooner you finish'.

Best

CR

Don't be in a hurry and checking all the places that was posted by Joe LaFives is the best information given.

I would like to add one very important piece of information that was touched on, well maybe two things.

When you shoot an original gun of any kind you are taking a chance by using it in SASS. The reason being that on average we shoot our guns many more times and at much more speed than they were designed for.

The average 1873 buyer may have shot his new rifle as little as 100 times a year not a week. The parts made then were great for that time period but not now and most certainly not intended for fast action firing. If you are very rich with tubs full of disposable income then buy, break, fix, buy and so on.

You could also buy the modern day version and shoot it till the cows come home.

The next thing is if you even think that you may want a gun that you see in your search, don't take a week to decide or it will be gone. Take my word on this. Guns you think about belong to other owners.

Archived